ICv2: 'Robotech RPG Tactics' Pushed Back Again

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

ICv2: 'Robotech RPG Tactics' Pushed Back Again

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

From today:
'Robotech RPG Tactics' Pushed Back Again
Plus Additional Details

Published: 01/30/2014 01:31am
Palladium Books has announced a new release date for Robotech RPG Tactics, plus additional information about the first releases for the game. The main box game and the first six expansion packs are now expected to ship in June, with "unbridled enthusiasm and lack of experience" blamed for the previously announced release date(s). The game was originally announced as a Fall 2013 release, but was pushed back to February 2014 in November (see "'Robotech RPG Tactics' Delayed").

Final prices for the trade release were also announced (tentative prices were previously announced with the product details, see "More Details on 'Robotech RPG Tactics'"). The main box game will be priced at $99.95, with the expansions prices as follow:

UEDF Valkyrie Wing $36.95
UEDF Destroid Pack $32.95
UEDF Spartan Pack $32.95
Zentraedi Regult Battlepod Squadron $36.95
Zentraedi Support Battlepods $36.95
Zentraedi Command Pack $36.95
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
mdauben
D-Bee

Re: ICv2: 'Robotech RPG Tactics' Pushed Back Again

Unread post by mdauben »

I'm glad to hear this news. I think the idea of splitting the release for the Kickstarter supporters is a great way to get the core game into our hands as soon as possible. I know I'll probably still be assembling, preping and painting the first wave of figures by the time the second wave arrives so I see no problem. :wink:

One thing I'd like to ask is that they include the decals in the first wave. They are not specifically mentioned in either wave, but I'd really like to get them with the first wave so I can get at least some of my figures finished before the second wave arrives. :-D
Mike

Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

That's ok because we'er getting our stuff in May/June. At least the first wave stuff anyways. :D
I hope PB makes a mint at gencon with the wave one stuff to cover the wave two expenses.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Well their trying at least.
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

mdauben wrote:I'm glad to hear this news. I think the idea of splitting the release for the Kickstarter supporters is a great way to get the core game into our hands as soon as possible. I know I'll probably still be assembling, preping and painting the first wave of figures by the time the second wave arrives so I see no problem. :wink:

One thing I'd like to ask is that they include the decals in the first wave. They are not specifically mentioned in either wave, but I'd really like to get them with the first wave so I can get at least some of my figures finished before the second wave arrives. :-D

I disagree, I'm more than fine waiting until fall as I imagie most people are, it feels to be like palladium is more interested in getting into stores than supporting backers. As an international backer product will probably be in stores in the US, and online stores, ebay, before I see a single figure. So people that didn't back and pre order this will have this inhand before I will.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Agent_gir wrote:I disagree, I'm more than fine waiting until fall as I imagie most people are, it feels to be like palladium is more interested in getting into stores than supporting backers. As an international backer product will probably be in stores in the US, and online stores, ebay, before I see a single figure. So people that didn't back and pre order this will have this inhand before I will.

Getting the figures in the fall wouldn't change any of your concerns about a timely delivery.

And I disagree with your assertion that 'most people are fine waiting an extra 10+ months'. I can't speak for anyone but myself and those I chat with regularly, but the issues with clear and timely communication and last minute extensions to the delivery target haven't been currying much favor.

At least this way we'll have *something* to start working on, begin learning the rules and working our way up to larger, more complicated games and forces.

Getting 500 models in the spring and another 300 in the fall works fine for me and my people, rather than 800 all at once in the fall. I can't say that this is true across the majority of those 5k+ backers, but having kept active in the KS comments for the last 11 months, it's definitely not a common grievance.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

dont rush
getting done right IMHO
it gonna be a hit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I think the game will be a hit too. The quality is there from what I'm seeing on the updates. The FPA, pods and glaug look great and there well detailed. (dare I say mouth watering?) I don't know about being able to airbrush the rdf minis. But with the zent models it's definitely achieveable.
Last edited by Kryptt on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Unread post by Kendachi »

From what I've been hearing from Mike on Dakka, the rules sound like a train wreck so far...

Does not make me feel confident.
"If a question is not asked, then how can it be ignored?" - NMI

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Yeah it's the whole LOS rule. I still feel like true LOS is a better way to go. HtH combat is another one. I'm sure it'll make more sense when the game hits retail. It's not Mike that's saying there a train wreck he's just given his two cents while the rules are discussed. In fact we all have commented on the rules at some point in that forum.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Well, assuming they start mailing in June, we should have plenty of people cracking open rules and discussing them in detail in 4-5 months.

Maybe even earlier if they make that May target!

;-)
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Kryptt wrote:Yeah it's the whole LOS rule. I still feel like true LOS is a better way to go. HtH combat is another one. I'm sure it'll make more sense when the game hits retail. It's not Mike that's saying there a train wreck he's just given his two cents while the rules are discussed. In fact we all have commented on the rules at some point in that forum.

That depends upon what you consider "true LOS" to be...... What do you mean by that exactly?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

True line of sight basically means the mini's and terrain are exactly as you see it. so to see if you can make a shot you just lean down and look. it requires everything to be the same rough scale, but makes determining what you can see and shoot much easier.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I think I've seen more arguments using TLOS than anything in the few conventions that I have attended. Either way no matter what system you use you will always have people wanting to argue LOS. It can mean the difference between winning and losing a match depending upon the fig in question. There is no error proof, argument proof LOS method.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

glitterboy2098 wrote:True line of sight basically means the mini's and terrain are exactly as you see it. so to see if you can make a shot you just lean down and look. it requires everything to be the same rough scale, but makes determining what you can see and shoot much easier.

@Mike: This is what I mean.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I like the Malifaux system for line of sight, personally, though I'm not sure how that has shifted in the move from 1.5 to 2.0.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

sirjackinthebox wrote:People are arguing game mechanics... lol

LOS and TLOS, realy!? all this is a matter of what conditions you simply do or don't apply a penalty, in any game it is player or GM discretion and could be all resolved before play, get with it people and be a real gamer and quit nit picking rules and learn to think out side the books...

That's not the problem. It's when a stranger comes in and wants a game of RRT when it becomes a problem. Your opponent may have his own house rules different from yours. So quit making excuses for PB. They could do a heck of a better job with the rules. It's this kind of attitude that's let PB go spiraling down. Heck after the RRT ks nobody takes PB seriously. Then again in many RPG circles PB wasn't taken seriously.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Or a tournament setting, where not only are you likely playing strangers, but prizes are on the line.

Or are those not "real gamers"? They may not be reflective of your preferences, but Palladium has flat out said that they intended to support a competitive scene for the game.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Considering how the MA program works......I hate to say this, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a well supported tournament scene guys.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Oh, I'm not expecting it, but even the mere desire to have a competitive scene (which they have stated) indicates some baseline things about the game, and "lol just play it" isn't among them. If I've got 8 players at tables, those 4 tables need to be playing the same game, as smoothly and with as little oversight as possible.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

They have stated many things by way of wanting to support local promotion. Stating and doing however are not seemingly connected very well if at all unfortunately.

As for rules yes they need to be as clear and well explained as possible to avoid the "well my foot is behind over so I get cover bonus"
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Clear rules are important. Even GW tends to keep over looking a few things in new editions, and they've been in the war game business for a long time. If they can make a mistake or overlook something on war game rules, anyone can. And it can take months or years for official errata or a fix from GW, PB has a chance to be better than them in that regard. That is assuming some issue with the rules will surface as lots of games start being played.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I think that can be all but guaranteed. Even with a hundred playtesters and two years or more spent fine tuning the rules, no game of this complexity launches in a perfect state. Ideally, most of the big, game breaking issues have been found, but tens of thousands of eyes looking at things will find issues and problems that the hundred before them missed.

But it's something that companies have to keep in mind. How will that errata be managed? Where will it be kept? How often will it be updated? Etc. Just realities of a competitive game that need to be addressed eventually.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Agreed. I think if PB manages that part well, there is definitely the chance to be better than GW in that regard. That would really be something to be proud of in my humble opinion.

If I may be permitted, this unworthy one would recommend to the staff to start planning a time table or at least set up a venue where first the problem or difficulty with the rules are identified by players. Then there can be discussion (here on the forums more than likely), and then most importantly an official place for the errata and game fixes. No plan survives contact with the enemy. Be flexible and responsive, I believe most players would love that.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”