Different Factions?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rocue
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "Through Darkness Light Defined"
- Rocue of the Rifters

Different Factions?

Unread post by rocue »

I have been talking up a storm with as many war-gamer as I can to hear their initial reaction to the information we have. Of course I can't give them a demo or anything and I can only show them the brief set of rules on the kick-starter page but their feedback is nice to hear and what either is interesting or a turn off. One big concern I have heard and can share in is: Will their be other races or factions once the game kicks up and becomes WILDLY successful like we all know it will ( ;) ). One of the biggest draws for war-gamers (being one) to games like Warhammer 40k is the diversity you see on the field. Its cool to be 1 of 10 races, immediately placing you into a subgroup of players which is nice, and having a different meta lightly from all other races. (I am not a fan of 40K as a system but as a universe it is undeniably pretty cool). I'm very excited for the system Palladium has previewed so far but the world doesn't seam amazingly enticing. The fact that their is only two sides to the war means pairing up wont be AS exciting as 40K where I can blaze in with my Space Marines and join forces with Eldars to fight a horde of Orks and Tyranids. I would just like to hear thoughts from other players who know more about the universe and possible Factions that could join in or idea palladium could build on to make more forces. I would also like to hear Dev thoughts (even though its early) about expanding the game faction-wise. I think if we were told that there would be for sure new races coming out in time and that the idea of different teams was on the board of top ideas to improve the game, I and other war-gamers could commit more money (although I got the big 240 package). Thoughts and lore you guys know?
"Through Darkness Light Defined"
- Rocue of the Rifters
Lvl 13 Silhouette Leyline Walker
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Re: Different Factions?

Unread post by Kryptt »

There are more races coming, like the RT masters, the invid and the heydonites. I'll be also using armored core minis from japan that look like they'll fit right in. If you have a 40k demon or tyranid army then you can have kaiju type of fights. As a 40k player I use minis from third party model makers. So as far as RRT being limited in scope is just a fallacy. Most of us will find models from other companies and set them up against our RRT minis. The only limit in this game is availability and imagination. :bandit:
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

It would be interesting if harmony gold would allow the factions from the Sentinels rpg into the mix. I can also see this system used with the rifts setting or something completely different (new IP). If the rules are a hit I can see Palladium doing this.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

There are 3 factions. Yes, granted, one simply draws units from the other two in a mix and match setup, but they are there. By the time the full series is available, there should be at least 7 factions, and with a suspension of disbelief it's entirely possible to have any combination of them fighting one another. War games with Veritechs facing off against Alphas and Cyclones, Zentraedi versus Invid, Masters versus Malcontents, etc.

Sure, it's not "10 factions with a hundred units and a million variations", but that's comparing it to the big dog game with decades behind it and a sizable company that (far as I know) dominates the market.
rocue
Megaversal® Ambassador
- Rocue of the Rifters

Unread post by rocue »

But why SHOULDN'T Palladium shoot for the best! I mean isn't that what made Rifts so great. It was THE best setting because it could be anything and it was confined to anything but what WE wanted it to be. I mean the rules need work and honestly I think its times for Rifts 2.0 but if they're serious about this game shouldn't we have heard about plans for End product. I follow alot of kickstarters (especially games) and the second thing they tell you past what their project is, is what it could actually be. I don't know I want to hear action if I'm going to wholeheartedly sell this game.
- Rocue of the Rifters
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Because they need to walk before they run?

Considering how much cash my friends and I tossed into the campaign, I certainly hope it's great, and at the very least proves good and fun enough to enjoy regularly with my usual crew, but expecting it to be 'omg the best!' or to challenge Games Workshop isn't realistic. It'd be great if they did, on a lot of levels, but the deck is rather stacked against them.

And really, wouldn't that just be playing into their usual rut/traps? Aiming for the moon and disappointing those who believed by only barely breaching the atmosphere, even if it's still an impressive feat?

Seems like it's better to manage peoples expectations until we all have a lot more solid info to go on. Palladium themselves admitted to wasting money advertising long before the game would be available, and I'll bet garnered a little ire while they were at it.
rocue
Megaversal® Ambassador
- Rocue of the Rifters

Unread post by rocue »

I think its the difference between promising something and hoping for something, Ya know?
- Rocue of the Rifters

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”