RRT in space

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

RRT in space

Unread post by Kryptt »

Do any gamers out there have any terrain or special rules for fighting in space or better yet for flying in the atmosphere to make up for different elevation?
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: RRT in space

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Kryptt wrote:Do any gamers out there have any terrain or special rules for fighting in space or better yet for flying in the atmosphere to make up for different elevation?

They might have that in the game when it comes out.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

My thoughts as well.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I figure that since I have zero info on this I will wait to see what PB has for us since it seems that they have taken 100% over everything at this point.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

It does seem that way. I figured if not I'll house rule it or wait for you Mike.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

This might come in handy.

http://www.rattleheadgames.com/catalog/ ... ducts.html

The ships in some of the pictures look like good minis for PW.

http://www.rattleheadgames.com/catalog/ ... ducts.html
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I can't imagine the rules will differ too significantly. I can't think of any units from the show or the RPG that were slow in the atmosphere and fast in space, so it all remains relatively proportional. A simple rule enhancing the movement of things with Flight (or a similar characteristic) or decreasing the movement of units without it.

And before anyone comments on the lack of realism in this stance, that's exactly the kind of thing I expect to be kept simple, otherwise it makes for a barrier to swift/fun play when you essentially need to learn two separate movement systems/structures depending on the game setting.

That said, I have a 6'x4' space mat to play on, and intend to get some asteroids and maybe make up some debris to act as cover.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Forar I hope you post pics if your space battles.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

some problems would be the Female and Male power armors... slow flight in atmosphere, but faster than anything else in space...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:some problems would be the Female and Male power armors... slow flight in atmosphere, but faster than anything else in space...

In DYRL they seem to do fine. I wouldn't worry to much about the aerodynamics of the suits. I'm more worried about HtH becoming the dominating factor in the game. If I want games of HtH I'll play warhammer or warmachine hordes or some such. This game is supposed to emulate the show but the HtH rules are clunky to say the least. I also liked it better when it was squad based. Now it's like 40k I move my parking lot of models then you move yours. I liked the old one squad moves then my opponent moves theirs. I hope the game stays as a skirmish game and not turn into 40k were everyone just tries to rush into combat.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Far as I know that's still the case; one side activates a card, then the other side activates a card, keep going until nobody has cards to activate. Small scale where everyone is only playing 1-2 cards it'll work out that way, but with only so many models to activate it shouldn't take very long either. Coming from a Malifaux background (which uses the same system) that's to my liking anyway.

They haven't established what happens if one person has vastly more cards than the other and some other circumstances, but that'd require a far more indepth look into the rules than we've gotten. There's a card minimum based on the points value of the game, but no maximum as far as I'm aware, so that could have some interesting repercussions on the metagame.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

You could have a lot of smaller cost core squadrons and to take on someone with fewer cores squadrons with more support but I think you are not going to have much of an advantage at the end of the day. It'll be interesting to see how they write this up.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Well, from what I've read in the rules, I basically see a card as a single unit that can act independently in several locations, but loses some advantages doing so (damage sharing, for example). Unit upgrades seem to be limited on upgrade cards as well, so it's not like 2 upgrades of Super VTs are necessarily equal to a single card of Supers (not to mention getting four A's rather than 3 A's and a J).

The potential advantage, at least in other games, shows up in making the other person commit their entire force to acting while you mess around with piddly little things, then hit them with the rest of your force. All the better if you can arrange it to have them not really be able to hit you, but you can move in and strike them. Depending on who wins initiative on each turn, this can become a double hit, as your primary force might end up acting twice in a row. Even if it's a smaller/less powerful force than the larger squadron being fielded by the opponent, that can be a lot of incoming damage.

Now, given the points values we've seen, this may only really be an issue at higher tier games, or instances that occur either by coincidence or intentionally (one person decided to field a swarm of smaller things while the other decides to see how much they can cram into a single card).

It can also lead to strange circumstances where a player can desire to not win initiative, because doing so forces them to act when they'd rather let the other person go, though this can be offset by having the initiative roll not determine who acts first, but who chooses which side acts first. This distinction alone can have ramifications in the metagame.

In the grand scheme it may not be a huge deal, but it's one of those 'small things with potentially huge consequences' for game play, force building, and other aspects.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”