Scale

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jerell
Hero

Scale

Unread post by Jerell »

I know I'm getting way ahead of things here, but has anyone tried to picture how small the bioroids and VHTs would be if done to scale with the Macross period RRT stuff? I kinda want them to scale, and kinda don't at the same time.

Same with cyclones. I would love to use them side by side with my future Zentraedi force, but at the same time, having larger cyclone figures would be awesome to paint and display as well. I mean I'd love to actually see the detail on my cyclone riders...
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Scale

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I'm not seein the cyclone on that scale chart but if they are to scale they are gonna be like 7mm tall or about a quarter of an inch.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

The Saber Cyclone is a long standing favourite of mine. As such, I'm hoping I don't have to try to put detail on something that small. I've seen pros who can put pupils on a doll at that scale. That's... vastly outside my amateur skill range.

It's nice that the whole line is intended to be in scale, and I recognize that it might not have been economical to make Macross era mechs in 10mm, or the play area would've needed to be too big, or whatever, but it may prove quite the hurdle for the latter, generally smaller series. Beta aside, that is.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Yes. My main concern for possible future releases is cyclone size at this time. I love cyclones, I hope to have a small army of them that I can paint fine detail on some day.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

They will have to do different scale if they want detailed Cyclones. I think I recall seeing them say the intent was there to do both ones that are in scale with the rest and larger ones for collectors. I'm not sure if they intend to do a larger scale for gaming purposes. That would be great as well. Maybe the larger scale figures could come with the smaller scale squads.

"The Devil's among us!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I don't recall seeing them say that, actually.

I know I and others have posited that it'd be sensible to have kits/packs that included a squad of Cyclones in 6mm and a larger (28mm'ish?) one so as to justify slapping a $20-30 MSRP on it. Given that they've said $25-30 was their target for expansion boxes, I can't see how that'd work with Cyclones and other smaller figures unless a box contains, like, 50 of them. Granted, for the smaller stuff they could simply sell smaller blisters of a couple for $5-10, but that starts to become an issue with the buy in costs on the game, given that (at least in the first run of the books) a Cyclone is about as tough as a VT. Not quite as dangerous, nor as fast, but I can't see them being 'priced' (in points) at much less than some of the cheaper Destroids, which means only needing so many at a time.

But I'm sure they've been pondering this kind of thing for years now, so we'll just have to wait for 2015-2016+, if/when we get up to the third series.

Yes yes, I'm aware some people are optimistic that they'll learn from the first saga and knock out series 2 and 3 in short order. While cautiously optimistic for our current deliveries, I admit remaining highly skeptical.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Considering how much damage a Cyclone can take, and how much they can do, I've pointed most out around 7-8 points. A VT-1A is 18.5 points. An Alpha fighter is 17. Hopefully this is fairly balanced. There is a balance of speed, damage potential and MDC that I've taken into account when pointing out units.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

It may have been mentioned when I went there in person in May. I have a lot of info bouncin around but I recall Kevin stating his intent to do more than just the small scale cyclones. Think that was the case. Just not sure if I heard him say it or I read it. It is entirely possible I am attributing the wrong quote to the wrong guy, but I think he said that.

"The Devil's among us!
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

I'm hoping they don't do it at a larger (28mm) scale unless its for collecting. I'd rather see the new generation ones in 15mm, that way we still have detail and include alphas and betas at a reasonable scale.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i want all the era's in the 6mm scale of the macross period stuff.. given the game uses true line of sight and hexless play, multiple scales would make cross-era gaming impossible. and given this is derived from the new RPG, there needs to be the option for macross and southern cross era mecha/units in invid era games.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I hate to say it but I just don't see how you can have everything the same scale and still be able to paint them. Forget cyclones, even invid or masters stuff will be too small to do much.

I don't know if they gave this enough thought when they set the scale for this one. On the other hand, if they set the scale so you could have cyclones the MAC II/Monster or even the Beta would be as big as your table.
glitterboy2098 wrote:i want all the era's in the 6mm scale of the macross period stuff.. given the game uses true line of sight and hexless play, multiple scales would make cross-era gaming impossible. and given this is derived from the new RPG, there needs to be the option for macross and southern cross era mecha/units in invid era games.

This is true, probably the best part of Invid Invasion is the cross generation aspect of it. Especially now with the Macross era not being protoculture powered.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Chronicler
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:I hate to say it but I just don't see how you can have everything the same scale and still be able to paint them. Forget cyclones, even invid or masters stuff will be too small to do much.

I don't know if they gave this enough thought when they set the scale for this one. On the other hand, if they set the scale so you could have cyclones the MAC II/Monster or even the Beta would be as big as your table.
glitterboy2098 wrote:i want all the era's in the 6mm scale of the macross period stuff.. given the game uses true line of sight and hexless play, multiple scales would make cross-era gaming impossible. and given this is derived from the new RPG, there needs to be the option for macross and southern cross era mecha/units in invid era games.

This is true, probably the best part of Invid Invasion is the cross generation aspect of it. Especially now with the Macross era not being protoculture powered.

Well what's the problem with having two scales with the invid invasion era? 6mm would be fine for mass battles using wings of alphas and betas and using single bases for units of cyclones. 15mm can be for skirmishes involving just squads or freedom fighters and still work great for invid at that scale.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Chronicler wrote:Well what's the problem with having two scales with the invid invasion era? 6mm would be fine for mass battles using wings of alphas and betas and using single bases for units of cyclones. 15mm can be for skirmishes involving just squads or freedom fighters and still work great for invid at that scale.

I could see this working, I think most people just want it to look as close as possible, and then there is the terrain issue too.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

I'm working on some paper stand in counters that are to scale, if they work you will be able to see some pics tomorrow on the Tactics Facebook page
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Somewhere I read that folks were asked what scale they wanted. Did this happen here or was this another superduper secret poll? Or was it done on the BT forums? After messing with the rules their line of site rule feels counter intuitive. So I just use the 40k LOS rules instead. It's moot now.

I agree that it would be nice to have them in 28mm as an option for the RPG. But I don't mind nd making the cyclones in 10mm and keep the rest at 6mm.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

I think it was done in another convention poll by Kevin S, He'd ask, "You like my idea of doing all the figure in 6mm don't you?" as he holds free promos of something to hand out. :-P
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Mike1975 wrote:I think it was done in another convention poll by Kevin S, He'd ask, "You like my idea of doing all the figure in 6mm don't you?" as he holds free promos of something to hand out. :-P

As my wife's younger siblings would say; "boy you crazy".lol
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't recall seeing any poll. I think he asked his freelancers and friends who are wargammers. Then again I wouldn't have known the difference in sizes at the time so I may have overlooked it.

"The Devil's among us!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I don't recall any polling being mentioned, just that they intended to keep the series in scale with one another. Must've happened long before the Kickstarter if that was the case.

But it's not like the vast size disparity between the series was going to be a surprise. If you have something 2 inches tall as a figure, and a bunch of the later stuff is 1/10th that size...
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

If you want to compare size check out these photos on the FB page from Dec 2nd. Everything is in scale except the cyclones that are 10mm.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 769&type=1

The Invid soldier which is hard to see is 6mm. I think if the cyclones and maybe even the invid scouts and troopers were made in 8mm scale they would be easier to handle.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Easy with talk like that.

The wrong scale purist hears you say that and they'll risk bursting a gasket over the idea of something that should be 7mm tall being 9mm tall!

Won't you think of those who demand everything be perfectly in scale (though I recall someone mentioning that some stuff from the Macross saga might not be perfectly in scale already BUT LET'S NOT PAY THAT ANY MIND!)

... they know who they are.
Chronicler
Adventurer

Forar wrote:Easy with talk like that.

The wrong scale purist hears you say that and they'll risk bursting a gasket over the idea of something that should be 7mm tall being 9mm tall!

Won't you think of those who demand everything be perfectly in scale (though I recall someone mentioning that some stuff from the Macross saga might not be perfectly in scale already BUT LET'S NOT PAY THAT ANY MIND!)

... they know who they are.

I don't really care about how accurate the size is, I always say if it is a representation of what it is on the battle field it doesn't matter (this goes with unpainted stuff).
just my two cents as a wargamer.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Oh, I feel the same way. Being vaguely in scale would be nice. Not having to try to paint little sabers on a Cyclone 6-7mm tall would be great.

Man, bring the topic up around the wrong people and you will see new levels of anger over something most people won't even notice unless you point it out to them, and probably then they'd still need to eye them up close to really get a sense of what's even a concern.

But for a select breed of wargamer, we might as well be talking about defiling the Mona Lisa.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”