Preferred Faction?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What will be your preferred faction?

UEEF
73%
Zentradi
16%
Malcontents
11%

Total votes: 45

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Preferred Faction?

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Personally, I'm really looking forward to a UEEF force of VF-1s with Destroid support. I'm also really looking forward to an elite group of just Female Power Armor Commandos.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Preferred Faction?

Unread post by Jorel »

The Invid...I kid. UEEF.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Jorel wrote:The Invid...I kid. UEEF.

Sorry, will always call them the RDF. And yes, the RDF fraction.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

is UEEF in the first box set? the UEEf shouldnt be around until the early 2020's... the UEDF is the forces seen in the first 2 chapters of robotech.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Too many acronyms, though I think Wolfehouse is right.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Yeah, pretty sure we're in the days of the UEDF.

... though it's the RDF to me.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i prefer UEDF. its a defense force for a united earth. 'robotech defense force' sounds more like some copyright enforcement group, out to ensure that no one uses robotechnology but them.. i can just see it. a heavily muscled thug in a flightsuit walks up, and starts in with "that there is a purty nice Destroid. shame if something where to..happen to it..." as his similarly dressed friends stand on either side looking intimidating..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i prefer UEDF. its a defense force for a united earth. 'robotech defense force' sounds more like some copyright enforcement group, out to ensure that no one uses robotechnology but them.. i can just see it. a heavily muscled thug in a flightsuit walks up, and starts in with "that there is a purty nice Destroid. shame if something where to..happen to it..." as his similarly dressed friends stand on either side looking intimidating..

You say that like it's a bad thing!

That's my primary selling point.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I am really looking forward to having masses of Zentraedi Regults to just swarm the board but when it comes to Robotech you have to play the Veritechs and destroids.
Forar wrote:Yeah, pretty sure we're in the days of the UEDF.

... though it's the RDF to me.

Me too. Can't call them Valkyries either, they are Veritechs to me and always will be.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Forar wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:i prefer UEDF. its a defense force for a united earth. 'robotech defense force' sounds more like some copyright enforcement group, out to ensure that no one uses robotechnology but them.. i can just see it. a heavily muscled thug in a flightsuit walks up, and starts in with "that there is a purty nice Destroid. shame if something where to..happen to it..." as his similarly dressed friends stand on either side looking intimidating..

You say that like it's a bad thing!

That's my primary selling point.

maybe it's just because i'm a fan of Battletech since before the big lawsuits, but i don't find the image as fun.

but i do think that sticking the show's title into the name of all the military forces is really silly.. and kinda ruins the immersion.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I grew up on both, but wasn't aware of the controversy or legal battle until much later.

All 21 Robotech novels sit on my shelf, proudly beside the saga of the Grey Death Legion.

I suppose I just think it's possible to be fans of both.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

United Earth Forces is my preferred faction (and I believe may be the most used title in the show).
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I can see taking out the recovery pod will be one of the first targets to take out. Don't want to get overrun by too many regults.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

RDF for the win.....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Clearly jaymz knows what's up!

Ontario represent!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Damn straight Forar

I'll have to get you to come up this way for Phantasm Gamers Equinox in March :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I had to go Zentraedi, with the new spawn ability these pods that go pop can become serious zombie units. Zentraedi that defend something and stay near their starting edge of the table can be vicious. They also have the toughest Elites so far in the game. Special Characters may change all of that though.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Zentraedi. I love the look of the Nousjadeul Ger. Seventh mechanized should be good, Khyron's troops. Regult and fighter pods should be fun as well.

That being said I can't wait to also get my hands on the Defender, VF-1, and YF-4. I really want to paint those up with as much skill as I can muster. And one day, the Monster shall be mine as well.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Jerell wrote:Zentraedi. I love the look of the Nousjadeul Ger. Seventh mechanized should be good, Khyron's troops. Regult and fighter pods should be fun as well.

That being said I can't wait to also get my hands on the Defender, VF-1, and YF-4. I really want to paint those up with as much skill as I can muster. And one day, the Monster shall be mine as well.

Same here, I had come up with painting my valks in a Disney theme. I want to find someone that can make decals of Disney characters and place them on top of the plane. As for the zentradi I want the shark teeth decals and use them on the pods like in the video game macross 30.
Last edited by Kryptt on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Forar wrote:I grew up on both, but wasn't aware of the controversy or legal battle until much later.

All 21 Robotech novels sit on my shelf, proudly beside the saga of the Grey Death Legion.

I've liked everything that is Robotech that has come out so far. Books, TV show, games, RPG. Doesn't mean I can't be critical of it either, because there were things in all of them, I didn't like also.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Forar wrote:I grew up on both, but wasn't aware of the controversy or legal battle until much later.

I've liked everything that is Robotech that has come out so far. Books, TV show, games, RPG. Doesn't mean I can't be critical of it either, because there were things in all of them, I didn't like also.

... I think you have misquoted me, as I have no idea what you're on about here.

Perhaps you intended to address someone else? Nothing I've said above contradicts what you respond with.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Thoughts on Armies???? Qualities are Low, Basic, Med, Good, Powerful, Very Powerful

Zentraedi-Basic Army with some missiles and with some Mediums and Powerful Elites

UEDF-Focuses on Good Quality Units with good amounts of missiles and supported with Powerful Elites

SC- Basic Battloid Swarm Army/Airforce to Hold the line Medium Veritechs (Logan and Ajacs) and for artillery barrages(Hovertanks)? Missile Defense?

Masters-Basic Swarm Army but with a large command points pools from numerous Mediums and Good leader units. They rely on command points for extra damage and longevity of units (ie Dodges, rapid fire), and also on getting in close quick and working in teams to take down the big opponents. Few Very Powerful Elites, all units are physically strong units, punch in hand to hand well above their cost (Second best), No missiles on basic ground units and little missile defense. Although the atack drone the masters has is loaded up with missiles for A to A.

Invid-Massive Swarm Army, small command pools and powerful Elites but bulk forces get free chances to parry with arms when hit, increasing survivability, and possibly use some spawning like the Glaug. Brute forces best at close combat (No more Battlepod Kick Fests) Only top elites have missiles and only missile defense on forces is to parry attack with the exception of the Elites that have some Anti-Missiles capability.

REF-Jack of all Trades, master of none. Has a bit of everything but you have to use wisely. Good Elites but not the most powerful, some stealth units.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

what Master's drone with missiles? the only drone i am aware of they have is the spotlight drone.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

It might be non-cannon but I remember a design, I thought it was from one of the Robotech books, maybe return of the masters, where there was a turret with missiles that was of Masters design. I'll have to hunt for it.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

The poll worries me a bit. Far too lopsided. What makes the Zentradi so undesirable to play?
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Spinachcat wrote:The poll worries me a bit. Far too lopsided. What makes the Zentradi so undesirable to play?

For me looks. But my son is looking forward to playing them.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Spinachcat wrote:The poll worries me a bit. Far too lopsided. What makes the Zentradi so undesirable to play?

They are effectively cannon fodder and fall pretty fast when fired at. You get more bang for your buck with RDF

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Could be any number of things.

- A lot of people like playing "the good guys".

- The RDF were the protagonists of Robotech, so while many people have obvious love for Breetai and Khyron and Miriya, I suspect a lot more people are excited to play with Rick, Roy, Max and other characters in VTs and Destroids.

- While the "Marauder/Officer's Pod/Glaug" is certainly among the most recognizable Battlemechs, I imagine many people are excited to get their hands on and use "unseen Battlemechs", which means Destroids and VTs in a variety of modes.

- Smaller squad numbers means fewer models necessary to build and paint, which might hold appeal to newer miniature wargamers.

- Those looking forward to doing themed/real life accurate fighters might be focused in that direction.

- Similar to Star Wars and a variety of other series, the general balance seems to be "core small unit of tough fighters versus swarm", which might hold further appeal.

Could be any of those or one of dozens more.
mdauben
D-Bee

Unread post by mdauben »

I love all the factions, but if I have to pick a favorite I have to go with UEEF/UEDF/RDF faction. Veritechs FTW! :-D
Mike

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Forar wrote:Could be any number of things.

- A lot of people like playing "the good guys".

- The RDF were the protagonists of Robotech, so while many people have obvious love for Breetai and Khyron and Miriya, I suspect a lot more people are excited to play with Rick, Roy, Max and other characters in VTs and Destroids.

- While the "Marauder/Officer's Pod/Glaug" is certainly among the most recognizable Battlemechs, I imagine many people are excited to get their hands on and use "unseen Battlemechs", which means Destroids and VTs in a variety of modes.

- Smaller squad numbers means fewer models necessary to build and paint, which might hold appeal to newer miniature wargamers.

- Similar to Star Wars and a variety of other series, the general balance seems to be "core small unit of tough fighters versus swarm", which might hold further appeal.

Could be any of those or one of dozens more.

What Forar said. Like I said, I love the Zents. The variety of mechs from basic attack Regults, to the three types of artillery pods, EW pod, power armors... They are going to be blast to army build. But, you have to give it up to the Veritechs and Destroids. Too cool.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I'm looking forward to airbrushing the zent mecha since it's huge compared to the rdf mecha. With max I used a brush. You can airbrush the rdf mecha but it's more work. At least for my rookie butt.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

I voted Zents even though I like them almost equally. What I don't like though is same army on same army minis battles like the boring match ups you invariably find in 40k when 2 out of 3 people bring marines of some flavor. I figure I'll likely work on my zentraedi first to avoid that and it's probably a good idea given the poll results so far. One other benefit of zentraedi armies is the more varied playstyle it gives you. While Destroids and Veritechs differ in speed and weapons, they're both relatively "good" in terms of ability and low on model counts. Playing the bad guys gives you the opportunity to try different army styles (horde pods as opposed to Quadrano squadron) or a mix of both.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

bielmic wrote:I voted Zents even though I like them almost equally. What I don't like though is same army on same army minis battles like the boring match ups you invariably find in 40k when 2 out of 3 people bring marines of some flavor. I figure I'll likely work on my zentraedi first to avoid that and it's probably a good idea given the poll results so far. One other benefit of zentraedi armies is the more varied playstyle it gives you. While Destroids and Veritechs differ in speed and weapons, they're both relatively "good" in terms of ability and low on model counts. Playing the bad guys gives you the opportunity to try different army styles (horde pods as opposed to Quadrano squadron) or a mix of both.

Have to say that while my favorite faction is UEDF I will likely build my Zents first. Mainly because I think that they should be easier for me to learn on (this is my first attempt at painting minis) and if I screw up I have plenty of replacements.
The Galactus Kid

jaymz wrote:

They are effectively cannon fodder and fall pretty fast when fired at. You get more bang for your buck with RDF

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Zentradi. The main benefit of the Zentradi is their leadership. Their elite units are ELITE but their grunts are pretty low on the powerscale, opting for quantity over quality. The UEDF has a more homogenous fighting force with some pretty awesome options, but a few Queadluun Rau and Glaug units can make a Zentradi force something to fear.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

The Galactus Kid

Kryptt wrote:I'm looking forward to airbrushing the zent mecha since it's huge compared to the rdf mecha. With max I used a brush. You can airbrush the rdf mecha but it's more work. At least for my rookie butt.

I will be purchasing an airbrush specifically because of this game (and I'm not new to miniatures games. Just never had a need before).

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”