Half-invid

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Re: Half-invid

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:
If the sentinels get the Psychic and other abilities in the upcoming books, i may consider the teleport ability again. But until then as a GM i have the over all power and say in my game. if you cannot handle that one thing being gone, then play something else. We as GM do not have to allow the RCCs if we do not wish.
as a GM you can do what you like, I agree. My RAW version of REF Marines should be in the mailbox soon... then we can see where they are headed with the Alien Races.

My copy should be in the mail shortly as well and we can touch on this again.

And don't get me wrong, i do not think we need a ton of charts, but consider how many humans have gotten their parents poor genes.
but when you roll a human with 3D6's you don't roll on a cart to see if you have hemophilia, scoliosis or dwarfism... you play a "normal/averagr" member of the species in question.

except those average humans do not get to have all those special ability. SO then we could simply do a 50/50 chance, you take after your human parent or your Invid parent And there is only a 30% chance your Human zentraedi hybred gets any bonuses. And a 50/50 for human, tirolian hybrds.

so yes there should be some considerable possibilities if you want to play a hybrid. i am not personally fond of the hybrid stuff myself.
The issue is the other hybrids lack the problems people want to give the hybrids in this thread.we don't have the issues from Macross-f show, you have Klan-Klan who's mutation gives her a giant Fan-service form, and a Sicko-loli form...

I do not know anything on the Macross shows, And this is Robotech not macross thst we are discussing.

not to mention both the Huamn Invid and any children they have risk the issues of being hunted and hated on many places on the earth. The green-blood will eventually become public knowledge and then many towns might blood test strangers, the REF would as well. Thou the Invid fled like cowards, the ones who remain will be hated for the 2 decades they spent enslaving and murdering Earthlings... The scene of Lancer being hunted by the towns folk in "the secret route" might be repeated on many Human invid in the future.
Marcus Rush was quick to ID Ariel as an Invid and was more than ready to blow her away...

thats if their blood is green. Whats the deciding factor here on blood color?
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:except those average humans do not get to have all those special ability. SO then we could simply do a 50/50 chance, you take after your human parent or your Invid parent And there is only a 30% chance your Human zentraedi hybred gets any bonuses. And a 50/50 for human, tirolian hybrds.
The Chances aren't based off randomness, its to determine who the alien parent is... while the vast majority of Zent's wouldn't grant bonuses, the ones that do, give the bonuses 100% of the time. Same thing with the different casts of Tirolians.
if you mom is a Warlord, like Azonia, you get the bonuses listed 100% of the time.

I do not know anything on the Macross shows, And this is Robotech not macross thst we are discussing.
wow... I never thought I'd be the one being told this LOL

not to mention both the Huamn Invid and any children they have risk the issues of being hunted and hated on many places on the earth. The green-blood will eventually become public knowledge and then many towns might blood test strangers, the REF would as well. Thou the Invid fled like cowards, the ones who remain will be hated for the 2 decades they spent enslaving and murdering Earthlings... The scene of Lancer being hunted by the towns folk in "the secret route" might be repeated on many Human invid in the future.
Marcus Rush was quick to ID Ariel as an Invid and was more than ready to blow her away...

thats if their blood is green. Whats the deciding factor here on blood color?

All Invid Princes/Princes have green blood. per the show, as the times they bleed, it is animated as green.
The Hybrid template also says they hybrids have green blood.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Col. Wolfe wrote: that they didn't make creatures that match the true power of this combination? and This combination isn't between a human-form invid and a Human, but a pre-human Invid DNA and Human DNA.... as the Final product of the Regis's experiments were the Human-forms who are shown to be genetically

You are correct they don't have to have made things the max power in the experimental combinations. But We have no clue how much fine tuning was done to get it to work properly, and how much of the Experiment carried over to the final product in Invid Evolution (ie Human-Form Invid).

Col. Wolfe wrote:but when you roll a human with 3D6's you don't roll on a cart to see if you have hemophilia, scoliosis or dwarfism... you play a "normal/averagr" member of the species in question.

Not exactly. While hemophilia and scoliosis aren't something you can roll for. Depending on the edition and such, you can roll for height and weight. You then can pick a value within that zone on the roll, that is not "normal/average".

Col. Wolfe wrote:The Chances aren't based off randomness, its to determine who the alien parent is... while the vast majority of Zent's wouldn't grant bonuses, the ones that do, give the bonuses 100% of the time. Same thing with the different casts of Tirolians.
if you mom is a Warlord, like Azonia, you get the bonuses listed 100% of the time.

True, but I don't particularly like that approach either (and object to it). However the resulting off-spring has numerous differences from the micronized Zen parent:
-attribute rolls end up with a different range than the Zen. parent (who starts with a static # + #d#, not 3d6 + # or #d#).
-off spring does not have the augmented PS of the micronized parent (pg211manga Macross SB and pg15 NG SB)
-RCC bonuses of the parent are basically non-existent in terms of being carried over (warlord gets a init bonus, the rest is gone)

If the child is losing the Augmented PS and RCC Bonuses of the parent in that case, it stands to reason that the child with a Invid-Human won't retain powers either since "natural abilities" aren't being carried over, even in reduced fashion with any regularity.

Lt. Gargoyle wrote:I do not allow the full Invid to teleport, so i would not allow the hybrid too. But we could design it so that the hybrid could go both ways, a chance to be stonger or weaker then the human parent. some powers may or may not be there. total random abilities or lack of abilities and what about some that are more like curses.
[/quote][/quote]
Personally I think the easiest way to resolve this is to just use the show's description of the Invid as "proto-plasmic energy parasites" as the actual Invid form, and what we see are merely GE hosts (and the green-blood is the result of contamination/altered blood chemistry resulting from the parasite). The Invid powers are from the parasite and not the host.
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Sat May 23, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

SRoss wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Kagashi wrote:All this is moot. The baby is really Corg's.
Reflex point was located near Canada... not a place known for large amounts of incest ;) :lol:

Not to mention, even on her worst day, Sera has better taste THEN THAT.

Hey, we dont know that. When they were created, they were the first Prince and Princess. Royalty marries royalty. She prolly didnt know she even had a choice.

Anyway, she was young and needed the money.

Lancer is going to see that baby born with blue hair rather than purple. You'll see. It would be a great Maurry episode.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Kagashi wrote:
SRoss wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Reflex point was located near Canada... not a place known for large amounts of incest ;) :lol:

Hey, we dont know that. When they were created, they were the first Prince and Princess. Royalty marries royalty. She prolly didnt know she even had a choice.

Lancer is going to see that baby born with blue hair rather than purple. You'll see. It would be a great Maurry episode.

I thought Lancer dyed his hair? Same with Max (don't know if they ever address that in Macross7 or other official sources).
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Chronicler wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
SRoss wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I thought Lancer dyed his hair? Same with Max (don't know if they ever address that in Macross7 or other official sources).

Nope. In Protoculture Addicts volume 47, page 693, paragraph 4, sentence 3 its clearly states that ever since the SDF-1 landed that human hair began growing odd colors, likely due to the presence of the flower of life.

Otherwise, how do you explain Lancer's hair color in a post-apocalyptic, Invid occupied world? They could barely find and maintain food, but Lancer could find the perfect purple dye ever since he crash landed? Either mutations occurred, or human priorities are way off.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Unless you're Tirolian, in which case the influence of Protoculture seems to encourage male-pattern baldness.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Kagashi wrote:
SRoss wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

True, Canada is still Ruled by the Queen even today.....
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Chronicler
Adventurer

[quote="Kagashi]
Nope. In Protoculture Addicts volume 47, page 693, paragraph 4, sentence 3 its clearly states that ever since the SDF-1 landed that human hair began growing odd colors, likely due to the presence of the flower of life.

Otherwise, how do you explain Lancer's hair color in a post-apocalyptic, Invid occupied world? They could barely find and maintain food, but Lancer could find the perfect purple dye ever since he crash landed? Either mutations occurred, or human priorities are way off.[/quote]

I can't tell if this serious or not (no really, bad enough I can't do it in real social situations, it's worse online).

But for the sake of debate he already had his hair like that before crash and burning. It's either dyed, or he's really Tirolian/Human :P
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

This thread stopped being serious after about post #5.
Updated Aug 2015
Chronicler
Adventurer

Kagashi wrote:This thread stopped being serious after about post #5.

That helps a lot, thanks.

Also now I'm curious about Protoculture Addicts, they have the back issues on Drivethru RPG.

Anyways, I should stop and let the thread get back on topic.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

60% of the time 100% of my posts are serious.
Hammering out something fun and interesting for players to use as Half-invid is my intent.... it seams like alot of others are bent on re-working the entire game system....
GrimmReaper
D-Bee

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

Just received my copy of Genesis Pits. Just off topic somewhat. What about a vicereine/ human hybrid. The new Guru Invid nowhere does it state that they can't have a human child aka zentraedi or tirolian for that matter.
Chronicler
Adventurer

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Hammering out something fun and interesting for players to use as Half-invid is my intent.... it seams like alot of others are bent on re-working the entire game system....

Uh...*Hides notes*

Anyways I think all of this boils down to what the GM and player wants. It would be GM discretion to use the teleport ability for the player, my suggestion would to limit it to short hops or have it like that one biotic ability from Mass Effect.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Chronicler wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Uh...*Hides notes*

Anyways I think all of this boils down to what the GM and player wants. It would be GM discretion to use the teleport ability for the player, my suggestion would to limit it to short hops or have it like that one biotic ability from Mass Effect.
if you want to re-write the entire system, go right ahead lol, its hardly a playable system as is. but I look to create something internally consistent with the other materials provided.
from what i've gathered, they have added 3 of the missing Sentinels races to REF marines?
Perytonians?
Carebearaisn?
Spherians?
Garudans?
Praxians?

as meatloaf says... 3 outta 5 aint bad...
from what i've heard Carebears are one of the ones included. Spells are also included in the book... idk if psionics made it in...
I hope my copies come by wed or Thursday

at that point I'm going figure out how to proceed. the alpha-test version of the extra races can give me an idea of what powerlevel kevin is going for
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Chronicler wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Uh...*Hides notes*

if you want to re-write the entire system, go right ahead lol, its hardly a playable system as is. but I look to create something internally consistent with the other materials provided.
from what i've gathered, they have added 3 of the missing Sentinels races to REF marines?
Perytonians?
Carebearaisn?
Spherians?
Garudans?
Praxians?

as meatloaf says... 3 outta 5 aint bad...
from what i've heard Carebears are one of the ones included. Spells are also included in the book... idk if psionics made it in...
I hope my copies come by wed or Thursday

at that point I'm going figure out how to proceed. the alpha-test version of the extra races can give me an idea of what powerlevel kevin is going for

My only issue with the teleport and giving it to PC is its a non stop get out of jail free card every time they get in over their heads.

I am thinking I'll be waiting on my Marines preview to decide as well and to see what the intent is there. I am not wanting to rewrite all the game rules, just fix ones that need to be fixed.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
My only issue with the teleport and giving it to PC is its a non stop get out of jail free card every time they get in over their heads.

I am thinking I'll be waiting on my Marines preview to decide as well and to see what the intent is there. I am not wanting to rewrite all the game rules, just fix ones that need to be fixed.
the invid princess race is optional to begin with.... and the True Hybrid's limitations make it not to over powered.
I guess, imo, in a game where Human sixed zents have Juicer level str. and you mostly pilot WMD's around... its a nice ability, but not game breaking.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

the invid princess race is optional to begin with.... and the True Hybrid's limitations make it not to over powered.
I guess, imo, in a game where Human sixed zents have Juicer level str. and you mostly pilot WMD's around... its a nice ability, but not game breaking.

except the moment the PCs get themselves into a situation they are likely to die in, they cannot escape by magically teleporting away. A giant sized alien humanoid or human pilots of mecha cannot just instantly teleport themselves out of the trouble they got themselves into.
or teleport into an enemy vessel and drop a bomb into the engine room. one of the more dangerous things a mage in rifts can do.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
except the moment the PCs get themselves into a situation they are likely to die in, they cannot escape by magically teleporting away. A giant sized alien humanoid or human pilots of mecha cannot just instantly teleport themselves out of the trouble they got themselves into.
or teleport into an enemy vessel and drop a bomb into the engine room. one of the more dangerous things a mage in rifts can do.
Since we see that the one Invid who is shot down dies bloody on the ground, we can assume the teleportation isn't quick or instantaneous. must require a great deal of concentration to do, not exactly something you'd have in the middle of combat trying to avoid the somethign thats about to kill you.
its not their Giant Size, its their Human size that has Juicer Augmented PS... they can punch for MD with a decent PS... not hard with physical skills.
yep, Telpoert into the engine room, and Wait there 4 hours while you gather the str to teleport again.... great plan ;)
if Mages in Rifts were so awesome, I'm sure the CS would have lost 112 years ago... just Telpeort a Nuke into the HQ of the CS... because the ability to telpeort also give the omniscience to know exactly where to teleport to every time...
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:
Since we see that the one Invid who is shot down dies bloody on the ground, we can assume the teleportation isn't quick or instantaneous. must require a great deal of concentration to do, not exactly something you'd have in the middle of combat trying to avoid the somethign thats about to kill you.
its not their Giant Size, its their Human size that has Juicer Augmented PS... they can punch for MD with a decent PS... not hard with physical skills.
yep, Telpoert into the engine room, and Wait there 4 hours while you gather the str to teleport again.... great plan ;)
if Mages in Rifts were so awesome, I'm sure the CS would have lost 112 years ago... just Telpeort a Nuke into the HQ of the CS... because the ability to telpeort also give the omniscience to know exactly where to teleport to every time...

Ariel teleports instantly not once but twice in a row. Its a plot device in the series. It was necessary for the humans (Scott's company to see the invid were taken human form.) Ariel had never been to Marcus's alphas nor did she know exactly where his alpha was in space, and she grabs in in the nick of time.

Have you ever been on a ship? I have and guess what, its not hard to find a hiding place. there are many little nook and cranies where someone could hide. And an actual invid does not even need 4 hours. 10 minutes (again plot device) and boom.

As for rifts teleport superior says and I am quoting (to teleport the mage must have a mental picture of his destination. the best results can be achieved when the character is personally acquainted with the target destination, some place he has visited or knows well. however, locations seen in photographs or described in detail can also be reached, but there is always a chance of miscalculation.)

the Invid teleport does not say anything about knowing their destination at all. it just gives limitations on distance.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:

Yeah, I agree. While Ariel clearly is shown using the ability in tSC, the write up was very unlimited in power. Robotech does not use PPE, ISP, or Chi (yet), and the ability is done without limit. That is very powerful in any game. The only thing is they get tired (-1 attack) for 10 minutes...big deal. When you teleport 20,000 away from danger without fail, who cares if you have -1 attack?

If they introduce PPE or some other mystic energy to gauge power potential into the game with the new spells in the Marines book (Potential Protoculture Energy?), we can apply that system to the teleport ability and assign Invid some sort of base value. This should limit just how much the ability can be used.

I should get my book sometime this week. Ill let you know if it is a workable course of action.
Updated Aug 2015
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually, before the regis leaves the distance you can travel is only a couple of miles.

still makes it hard to capture them, but not quite as hard to reacquire
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

One issue with the teleport is that only the Princess can teleport others with it. The Half-Invid experiment can only teleport themselves (and has a much shorter range)
So yah....if the GM chooses to allow the optional Princess in the game....guess what they are also choosing to allow that teleport power. There is a reason that the class is said to be highly optional....
If the Teleport power is that much of a problem in an individual game....then just ban the power. Its not like every Invid has that power after all. Or even needs it. If the power was just restricted to main NPCs and the 'lesser princesses' (I.e. PCs) didn't have access to it there would be no real functional difference in the character.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

eliakon wrote:One issue with the teleport is that only the Princess can teleport others with it. The Half-Invid experiment can only teleport themselves (and has a much shorter range)
So yah....if the GM chooses to allow the optional Princess in the game....guess what they are also choosing to allow that teleport power. There is a reason that the class is said to be highly optional....

Um. NO, if the player ask to play something and a GM says, Yes with this exception. the player can decided to play something else or chose to play with that limit.
eliakon wrote:If the Teleport power is that much of a problem in an individual game....then just ban the power. Its not like every Invid has that power after all. Or even needs it. If the power was just restricted to main NPCs and the 'lesser princesses' (I.e. PCs) didn't have access to it there would be no real functional difference in the character.

I have said this multiple times in this thread. because i see it as a over powering ability (especially since its description is super vague) is a system which does not have magic.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
eliakon wrote:One issue with the teleport is that only the Princess can teleport others with it. The Half-Invid experiment can only teleport themselves (and has a much shorter range)

Um. NO, if the player ask to play something and a GM says, Yes with this exception. the player can decided to play something else or chose to play with that limit.

the problem with deviating to much from rules as written, it become pointless to play anything with the book.
"can I play a human?"
"Sure, but you have no legs"
"what?"
"yeah the book give you legs and i feel the ability to walk is over powered, I want you to play a quadriplegic invalid, that walking and talking power is way over the top in my game, its a low powered setting"
"but Bob's PC can bend steal and punch through walls"
"yeah, but he has no legs either, those are arm abilities... arms are't over powered, you culd walk some bombs into a building instead of having to escape an elaborate ruse I created to plot-train you into jail cells where Bob will be able to shine with his awesome arm abilities"
eliakon wrote:If the Teleport power is that much of a problem in an individual game....then just ban the power. Its not like every Invid has that power after all. Or even needs it. If the power was just restricted to main NPCs and the 'lesser princesses' (I.e. PCs) didn't have access to it there would be no real functional difference in the character.

I have said this multiple times in this thread. because i see it as a over powering ability (especially since its description is super vague) is a system which does not have magic.

Don't punish the Player for wanting to make a chracter because the Author is terrible at his job.
if the power is poorly written up, Blame the author and designer for not taking the time to properly place the text to make it less vague. the problem I have with this "overpower" argument is the argument I have with Palladium system's alleged disdain for "Balance"- so many Palladium Fans groan endlessly about the "Balance" other systems attempt to make in the game, then we have situations like this where something that isn't insane (like punching for MegaDdamage as a mirconian).
but then again, the text under the princess RCC is pretty clear it's completely optional.
there is the out to say no.... without gutting the RCC of all its powers..
The Hybrid experiment on the other hand, its power is so pathetic for the penalty I'd have no issue...
sure, you speak like a monster and can't hide the fact in normal social situations... welcome to being hunted by both factions or worse...
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

the problem with deviating to much from rules as written, it become pointless to play anything with the book.
"can I play a human?"
"what?"
"yeah the book give you legs and i feel the ability to walk is over powered, I want you to play a quadriplegic invalid, that walking and talking power is way over the top in my game, its a low powered setting"
"yeah, but he has no legs either, those are arm abilities... arms are't over powered, you culd walk some bombs into a building instead of having to escape an elaborate ruse I created to plot-train you into jail cells where Bob will be able to shine with his awesome arm abilities"

By removing one ability one poorly written ability is not cutting the players legs offs. this is just being over melodramatic. depending on the person and material you can bend metal and punch through walls. I do not see any human or micronized Zentreadi being able to do MD. they do not have cybernetics.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Don't punish the Player for wanting to make a chracter because the Author is terrible at his job.
if the power is poorly written up, Blame the author and designer for not taking the time to properly place the text to make it less vague. the problem I have with this "overpower" argument is the argument I have with Palladium system's alleged disdain for "Balance"- so many Palladium Fans groan endlessly about the "Balance" other systems attempt to make in the game, then we have situations like this where something that isn't insane (like punching for MegaDdamage as a mirconian).
but then again, the text under the princess RCC is pretty clear it's completely optional.
The Hybrid experiment on the other hand, its power is so pathetic for the penalty I'd have no issue...
sure, you speak like a monster and can't hide the fact in normal social situations... welcome to being hunted by both factions or worse...

Actually it is the job of the GM to create a campaign that the entire group will enjoy playing in. Yes that means doing just this. removing a poorly written rule or going in and rewriting it so its very clear and fully defined in ability and power setting. It is not to punish the player for wanting to play a Particular RCC.
But I also run with the mentality that if a PC cannot do it the NPC cannot do it either.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote: I do not see any human or micronized Zentreadi being able to do MD. they do not have cybernetics.
Page: 211(MS) Manga Sized, Zent Ps is Augmented. Page 141(FS) Augmented PS 24 deals 1 MD, 25-27 1D4... ect... some Zents can Punch for as much as some Laser weapons in Micronian form

Actually it is the job of the GM to create a campaign that the entire group will enjoy playing in. Yes that means doing just this. removing a poorly written rule or going in and rewriting it so its very clear and fully defined in ability and power setting. It is not to punish the player for wanting to play a Particular RCC.
But I also run with the mentality that if a PC cannot do it the NPC cannot do it either.

"hey GM, I bought the newest Robotech book and it has this awesome optional race I'd love to try out"
"let me look it over... wow... that's completely unbalanced and should have never reached the final printing, since it's completely optional I have to say no"
"that's cool, I'll just play a micron-Zent and tear Invid mecha apart with my bare hands"
"well, I could re-write the race and remove most of the cool abilities and nerf the heck out of it"
"Nah, I'm cool with being able to punch through someone's chest with a punch instead"
"true, and don't forget the 420 MD fighter VF-1R w/ Super packs you are all flying in the game, Rick blew up a zentradi cruiser with one in the show"
"yeah that +4 autododge is amazing on a 23 ton mecha"
-Balance...
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

"can I play a human?"
"what?"

By removing one ability one poorly written ability is not cutting the players legs offs. this is just being over melodramatic. depending on the person and material you can bend metal and punch through walls. I do not see any human or micronized Zentreadi being able to do MD. they do not have cybernetics.

Uhhhhhh
Did you guys read my post?
I said that if the GM decides to allow Half Invid or Invid Princesses (both OPTIONAL) into the game, then the GM has deliberately opened this can of worms.
The line would be
PC: Can I play an Invid Princess?
GM: No.
PC: Shucks, how about a Half-Invid?
GM: Nope, none of those either. I don't want to deal with the teleport issues in this game.
PC: Ahhh, I see. What about a.....

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I would say its the GMs job to make a game that everyone will have fun in (GM included)
Yes this can involve redoing rules (house rules are a fact of gaming)
It can also involve sometimes making deals with the player (Okay this power is a bit of a problem....what can we come up with to fix it that we both can live with?)
It can also sometimes just involve having to tell players "I am sorry, but that skill/ability/trick/what ever isn't something that your capable of doing...yet" (maybe you have to be Xth level, or maybe it only works if your twin is killed, or maybe you first need to unlock it using the Power Of Love or......)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

For me, I'd be inclined to limit the number of Invid Experimental subjects I'd allow in a campaign, at least in the beginning. In terms of the Princess/Simugent and Hybrid, Teleportation isn't so much a deal-breaker as some of the other abilities like being able to sense Invid or receive their Telepathic signals.

If they're playing their characters right, the Princess/Simugent or the Hybrid either don't know about their abilities or are hiding what they are from the others. Remember that initial sense of betrayal Scott and the others felt when they first learned Arial was an Invid? So while sensing the oncoming Invid, or hearing their voices in her head can't be avoided, they're not likely to teleport when the others can see, except as an absolute last resort.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”