Mechanoids as defenders of humanity - Archie 3's cruel joke?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Mechanoids as defenders of humanity - Archie 3's cruel joke?

Unread post by slade2501 »

I had a sudden great idea, of Mechanoid forces in the wilds appearing to assault the Xiticix, or to face down bands of demons and raiders. If asked, they claim to be Mechanoid renegades who have found a home for themselves on rifts earth, doing their best to defend their ancestral race against the horrors of the megaverse. Archie 3 has decided to increase production during the Demon war take advantage of the chaos. A second layer of mechanical defenders (after the Shemarrians) would both provide more security and eliminate several supernatural threats without leading back to him.

As a GM, this would allow for folk-hero style stories and adventure hooks, along with the possibility of Robot PCs and or Mechanoid PCs (neural intelligences who BELIEVE that they are a real Mechanoid renegade).

Refuge in audacity is the name of the game. The renegades reveal themselves to a fairly high-tech settlement with good trade options, turning in loot, weapons and other items taken from defeated foes. Cause Archie3 can't use techno wizardry items, this provides a great cover for trading them in for things the Mechanoids might supposedly need (such as raw materials for manufacturing, information, etc). Its a great way to gather information on enemy movements, intelligence on weaknesses and abilities, locations of human settlements, and so on. As soon as people realize that there are a friendly group of natural tanks in the area who feel it is their mission to kill monsters, demons and the like, your average human/D-bee gets real friendly real quick.

It also would appeal to Archie 3's sick sense of humor to turn the human hating Mechanoids into a parody of themselves, paraded through out North America for all eyes to see.
Last edited by slade2501 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Re: Nechanoids as defenders of humanity - Archie 3's cruel j

Unread post by Khanibal »

Are these regular nechanoids, or beer-drinking, pickup-driving, red nechanoids?
:)
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Khanibal wrote:Are these regular nechanoids, or beer-drinking, pickup-driving, red nechanoids?
:)

we can MAKE them Red-Mechanoids. Good old backwoods boys. I was thinking more along the lines of Ethan Allen and his revolutionaries......
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Can't you see though, a big ole Cummins "C" sticker on the rear of your Warlord War Chariot(tm, c, etc.)?

I don't know if we allowed to post links to youtube here, but if you're interested check out Jayjuh Boyz Ridin' High.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

if he gets his hands on some AbM mechanoids, he could probably actually clone them for real. they really wanted to set up clone facilities... it would make plenty of sense if they had built something in his lair.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Couldn't this idea sort of backfire and draw the attention of Atlantis/Kittani?
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

Shark_Force wrote:if he gets his hands on some AbM mechanoids, he could probably actually clone them for real. they really wanted to set up clone facilities... it would make plenty of sense if they had built something in his lair.

love this idea. Archie could set up a secret mini-factory and clone lab, and have an abM Brain wake up from cloning to find its dead progenitor overcome from it wounds, having only just before death completed the building of a lair. the abM continues the work, seeking to undo the evils of its brethren, building new grunts, thin-men and using the newer Mechanoid designs for its other clone kin (cleverly supplied by Archie 3). They would have to keep their numbers low due to lack of materials and time, but could slowly grow and be a force to hedge back the Xiticix or the demons. they would be pretty self sufficient and could become great adventurers against inhuman evil. and what a joke on the evil Mechanoids. to become pawn and creations of a human designed artificial intelligence!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I like it except for a few things....I'm not sure that A3's all that big on cloning, just as he's not big on nanotech. He can do it, and if he already can't do it, he probably could, setting his powers to it, but it's big robotics that appeal to him. To A3, robotics are just naturally superior.

Lilkewise, the Mechanoids. As much as he's learned from studying them, the Mechanoids SCARE A3. They came THIS close to taking control away from him. He wouldn't want the Mechanoids to appear as friends of mankind, because he'd want Humanity to be ready to blast any recurrance of them. He's perfectly alright with putting replicant Mechanoids on Atlantis because they're there to distract the Kittani and sew disorder amongst his enemies, not make new friends.

It's his OWN original creations that A3 wants to be the frontmen of his dominationsalvation of Earth.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I don't see him making actual mechanoids.
But Thinmen & Runts? Sure.
And maybe robot versions of various mechanoids themselves.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Killer Cyborg wrote:I don't see him making actual mechanoids.
But Thinmen & Runts? Sure.
And maybe robot versions of various mechanoids themselves.

Splynn Dimensional Market, pg. 66.
"Gradually these robots are smuggling Mechanoid style robots onto Atlantean soil and hiding them for use later."
I interpret that to mean Thinmen & Runts. maybe facsimiles of Mechanoids as well. Given the hatred the Kittani have for the Mechanoids, I doubt they;d bother checking or waiting to see if the 'mechanoids' exhibit psionic abilities(as real live ones would) bfore blasting them to vapor.
The same paragraph mentions plans for an 'assault of Mechanoid robots' which suggests a substantial force, not just a handful.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

NASA has been pushing Mechanoids propaganda on North Americans the past 4 years

For a while I thought they were just sentient robots, but I've seen them eating potato chips. They occupy Earth and unlike other shows with talking vehicles (Transformers, Robocar Poli, Super Wings) they do not interact with or serve humans. There's simply no humans at all... yet they appear to be set in Earth's future, referencing old satellites humans sent out, etc.

Everyone is generally peaceful. No violence. No romantic disputes. Much better off without their human trappings. The worst conflict gets seems to be when people try to engage in espionage to steal intellectual property. "Double-0 Dodo" was as dark as things ever got and even then it just ended with co-operation between competitors.
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Mechanoids as defenders of humanity - Archie 3's cruel j

its also rough to see an entire source book of material be relegated to a shelf cause all the bad guys are "dead". Then again, having some survive is terribly dangerous or possibly game unbalancing. Having Archie 3 build either real ones or replicas who think they are real and carry on as such would keep them around in North America and available for some Hook, Line and Sinker stuff. Hell, they would even make good PCs.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Only the first wave is dead :) Shifters gonna shift.
taalismn
Priest

Axelmania wrote:Only the first wave is dead :) Shifters gonna shift.

####ing nihilists. Bad enough they think the world is going to end, but they gotta actively and enthusiastically work to bring it -about-.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

taalismn wrote:####ing nihilists. Bad enough they think the world is going to end, but they gotta actively and enthusiastically work to bring it -about-.

I mean, say what you want about the tenets of the Coalition, Dude, at least it's an ethos?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Rifts®”