Robot Rifle Adapter - make a gun Robot Sized!!!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade2501
Explorer
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Robot Rifle Adapter - make a gun Robot Sized!!!

Unread post by slade2501 »

GM NOTE: as a real world human, I have often seen firearms modified with after-market kits to make them bullpup, or to ease a pump action. I figured, why not in game as well as real life?

Holeran H-4 Robot Rifle Adapter

Often, owners of giant robots try to alter or modify the weapons load out mounted on their particular robot. Without proper materials and tools (often hard to find in the wilderness), a skilled Operator or other technical personnel, these modifications are impossible. Even when all these factors are available, the cost can be prohibitive. In response, a small time weapons manufacturer by the name of James "Jimmy" Holeran (9th level Operator, Unprincipled) has come up with an answer. Taking inspiration from an ancient pre-war firearms modification kits, he has built and produced an adapter to convert a human-sized, hand held energy weapon into a functional robot-sized weapon. The rifle shell has internal clamps and mounts to hold and position the human sized weapon, an e-clip adapter that connects to its built in rechargeable power cell, a bypass circuit to trigger the weapon and finally external shell armor that appears to be a self contained robot sized weapon. With only a few hours of work, any robot can carry an additional weapon system for the low low price of 20,000 credits.

Notes: the donor weapon (for example, a Triax-30 Ion Pulse Rifle) will retain all its characteristics such as damage, range and rate of fire except for the payload. The shell has an internal power supply that equals four regular e-clips worth of ammunition for the rifle in question (on a tx-30, an e-clip is worth 40 shots, so 160 shots instead).
The energy cell can be recharged easily from any electric source or by e-clip charger (power cord included).
For an extra 5000 credits, Holeran offers a mountable clamp for weapon stowage.

Cost: 20,000 credits for the adapter, 5000 credits for the stow mount. Good to fair availability.
Skills: Armorer works best at no penalty, while other skills should have a -10 to -15% penalty (gm discretion).
dragonfett
Knight

Re: Robot Rifle Adapter - make a gun Robot Sized!!!

Unread post by dragonfett »

With as big as a Titan Combat Robot's arm is, you could probably mount three to four Wilk's 447 Pulse Rifles side by side to create a fire-synced weapon capable of keeping up with the Glitter Boy's Boom Gun (at least in terms of damage). Hell, you could probably add two laser rifles mounted side by side to the arm of a GB to give it additional firepower when the Boom Gun is not appropriate.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
slade2501
Explorer
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

dragonfett wrote:With as big as a Titan Combat Robot's arm is, you could probably mount three to four Wilk's 447 Pulse Rifles side by side to create a fire-synced weapon capable of keeping up with the Glitter Boy's Boom Gun (at least in terms of damage). Hell, you could probably add two laser rifles mounted side by side to the arm of a GB to give it additional firepower when the Boom Gun is not appropriate.

completely true. but that also costs a crapload of money. Tying a weapon into a nuclear power supply is aboug 50,000 credits per weapon, and modifying the armor to protect teh weapons and tying them into the robots control systems and targeting computer would also cost a few credits. The adapter is a simple, effective, time and cost cutting solution that works within the rules and that the average GM wont ***** about. no munchkins here.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

slade2501 wrote:
dragonfett wrote:With as big as a Titan Combat Robot's arm is, you could probably mount three to four Wilk's 447 Pulse Rifles side by side to create a fire-synced weapon capable of keeping up with the Glitter Boy's Boom Gun (at least in terms of damage). Hell, you could probably add two laser rifles mounted side by side to the arm of a GB to give it additional firepower when the Boom Gun is not appropriate.

completely true. but that also costs a crapload of money. Tying a weapon into a nuclear power supply is aboug 50,000 credits per weapon, and modifying the armor to protect teh weapons and tying them into the robots control systems and targeting computer would also cost a few credits. The adapter is a simple, effective, time and cost cutting solution that works within the rules and that the average GM wont ***** about. no munchkins here.

Perhaps, but the cost alone to repair or replace a weapon on a Robot Vehicle would be way more expensive than adding four infantry level weapons side by side, paying 50k credits each to connect them to the nuclear power supply, and then buy the robot armor plating to shield the weapon from attacks. Sure you won't have the range that a weapon designed to work on a Robot Vehicle is going to have, but if any power armor decides to get up close and personal, you have a little something up your sleeve (literally!) to make them think twice.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

That's the deluxe version, plus you gotta factor in the power burden and cooling for the extra firepower.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade2501
Explorer

taalismn wrote:

That's the deluxe version, plus you gotta factor in the power burden and cooling for the extra firepower.

Now your talking. Just ask the Mythbusters. Scaling up always adds problems, and sometimes the best solutions are simple ones. Pay 25,000 credits for a new robot weapon or pay 100,000+ for a new mounted[i][/i] weapon tied into teh power supply, re-balancing the robot/suit weight, custom armor plating, etc. Its like modifying a real world car, it can become a huge undertaking to change something relatively simple looking.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

yeah. if it was as easy as just "lets mount 6 of these rifles to this thing", we'd actually see people doing that in the canon examples. but we don't. which means it has to be more complicated than people make it out to be.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:yeah. if it was as easy as just "lets mount 6 of these rifles to this thing", we'd actually see people doing that in the canon examples. but we don't. which means it has to be more complicated than people make it out to be.

Well...I did once create a harness for cyborgs mounting six cyborg machine guns...but I figured that being gas-recoil operated, the MGs wouldn't put a drain on the cyborg's power supply...just strain on the ankles from lugging all that ammo around, and the pounding of all that noise and recoil.. :D :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”