Media similar to Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Willy Elektrix
D-Bee

Media similar to Rifts

Unread post by Willy Elektrix »

What are some books, movies, comics, or games that having a setting similar to Rifts? I really like the weird genre-bending Rifts world, but there isn't very much official Rifts media. I'd love some more sources of inspiration.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Re: Media similar to Rifts

Unread post by tobefrnk »

The anime, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust has elements that are Rifts-like.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Since Rifts includes potentially all genres,
Potentially all genres can resemble Rifts.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Willy Elektrix wrote:What are some books, movies, comics, or games that having a setting similar to Rifts? I really like the weird genre-bending Rifts world, but there isn't very much official Rifts media. I'd love some more sources of inspiration.

One of the things I tend to do is look at things that have an element or two that is Rifts like and see what they do with it.
For example:
-I will watch an Anime with a civilization based on magic as technology (the Nanoha series) and go "hmmm, so that is what a TW based civilization might look like"
-I will play a game with a post apocalypse theme where the characters scrounge for high tech weapons to fight monsters (Wild Arms) and go "hmm, this side arc here might be useful for my New West game:
-I might read a comic about a ninja fighting robots and demons with the help of a sorcerer to save a demi-god (Blade Bunny)and think "oh yeah, this is totally a PC group"

None of it is really "Rifts"... but at the same time it is all Rifts. I just have to take the inspirational bits that I like, mix them together like Rifts does and taste the result once I have hit Puree. Its a 'season to taste" sort of thing.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Willy Elektrix
D-Bee

tobefrnk wrote:The anime, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust has elements that are Rifts-like.

Oh yeah, totally. How could I forget about this? The Vampire Hunter D movies and novels are an obvious inspiration for Rifts. Vampire Hunter D has a post-apocalypse/Wild West setting where vampires overlords rule isolated villages of humans. It is impossible that this series was not an inspiration for the vampire kingdoms of Mexico.

eliakon wrote:None of it is really "Rifts"... but at the same time it is all Rifts. I just have to take the inspirational bits that I like, mix them together like Rifts does and taste the result once I have hit Puree. Its a 'season to taste" sort of thing.

True, although I think Rifts has a sort of unique flavor because it combines all its different genres in a wild and exciting way. Very few sci-fi settings seems to do this.

I thought of another one... Did anyone else read that 80s comic called Grimjack? Grimjack is a mercenary in a "pan-dimensional" city where all kinds of aliens, gods, cartoon characters, and other wacky beings all live together. It certainly captures some of the feel of Rifts.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I think you can literally use anything for inspiration from just about any anime or Manga to things like mad max, to judge dread and even the big Star franchise's you can also throw in things like bsg westworld, Trigun and Appleseed etc.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

tobefrnk wrote:The anime, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust has elements that are Rifts-like.

the first Vampire Hunter D film from 1985 is even more so in many ways. it even has laser rifles and such.

another one is Battle Angel Alita.. the Manga has a real Rifts feel when you read it, and the OVA from 1993 is a pretty faithful (if condensed) rendition of it. theOVA is also somewhat easier to find nowadays. there is going to be a Live Action soon, and it looks to be just as faithful to the Manga's feel as the OVA, give or take a few details.

While not set post apocalypse, the Bubblegum Crisis series's have a lot of rifts like elements.. in part because PB drew on them for a lot of early rifts gear. personally i prefer the BGC Tokyo 2040 remake, because it had an overarching story and developed the characters a bit better, but the original OVA's are really good as well. either one would be a good source for inspiration into Burbs type games especially.

another one that seems to have heavily inspired Palladium is the Appleseed series of Manga's and films. a lot of Triax seems to have the stylistic DNA of Duenan and Briarieos inside. it is a post-apoc setting, although much of the Manga and most of the films end up focusing on the surviving tech-city of olympus rather than the wastelands. i highly recommend readign the Manga, but it can be tricky to find at a good price. film wise i'd suggest avoiding the one from 1988 (it is just not that great and really dates itself), and go for the CGI film from 2004, or the recent Appleseed Alpha film, which is more about the char's life in the wastelands before reaching Olympus.

also Silent Möbius. while it is sort of a cop show, it is a cop show about special agent cops that use magic and psionics and such to fight demonic monsters in a world that barely survived a cataclysmic event, so it definitely has some rifts feel to it. with this one i'd suggest just watching the TV series from 1998.. it it much easier to watch and does a much better job of explaining what the heck is going on than the OVA's from the early 90's.

for those who prefer a more western source (really, the older Anime stuff is awesome though, give it a try), the Samurai Jack series is so Rifts it is easy to forget it isn't, sometimes.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Fallout Game series (at least for a tech heavy look without magic/psi), more for the non big players in the wastes.

80s 'toons: Thundarr the Barbarian (post-apocolypse world: super science and magic, no major powers), Masters of the Universe (tech & magic), Visionaries (more magic in a post-apolocypse tech world)

Anime: Blue Gender, Genesis Climber Mospedea (aka Robotech: NG arc)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.
It's subtle, but it's there.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Since Rifts includes potentially all genres,
Potentially all genres can resemble Rifts.

I think that it's because of this that whenever this question is asked here my answer is nothing.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

try the original Buck Rogers books. Bar the magic and rifts/psychics, its pretty similar.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

When I saw the promos for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath_(2016_TV_series) it made me think of rifts, since it's natural disasters + rise of supernatural beings. I still haven't watched it. Taped it all on the PVR but when I saw Crave TV picked it up, I deleted it to clear room for other stuff, figuring I would watch it next time I got a free demo of the channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynonna_Earp_(TV_series) would probably be good fuel for a New West game.

Neither of these have the far-future high-tech elements of Rifts AFAIK though, just the supernatural society stuff. WE isn't even post-apoc like Aftermath so it might be more suited for a Beyond the Supernatural game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatu ... _TV_series) could be good inspiration for Beyond the Supernatural or Nightbane, not post-apoc or future tech so extrapolations to Rifts would need modifications.
Willy Elektrix
D-Bee

I've seen almost all of the anime people are mentioning here (Vampire Hunter D, Battle Angel, Silent Moebius, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, etc.). I never really thought about how much Rifts is inspired by anime. It sure is though.

It's interesting that almost everything that anyone has mentioned has been cartoons. Here's another one. Wizards is a 1970s American animated film that is about war in a post-apocalyptic world. One side is a mechanized army (that resemble Nazis). The other side are magic-users, pixies, and forest dwellers.

I haven't seen Samurai Jack, but it looks cool. I can see the Rifts parallels.

Turbokid also looks cool too. Manborg is another live-action sci-fi movie that is also Rifts-like. It is about cyborg hero overthrowing a race of Nazi-like vampires. The whole thing is like a live-action anime. It's pretty awesome.
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

Defiance, both the video game and tv series has a very rifts vibe (except no magic or psychics)
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Willy Elektrix wrote:I've seen almost all of the anime people are mentioning here (Vampire Hunter D, Battle Angel, Silent Moebius, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, etc.). I never really thought about how much Rifts is inspired by anime. It sure is though.

The manga of Battle Angel Alita / Gunmu began in December 1990 so Rifts preceded it by 4 months, so it couldn't have inspired the core book, not sure about later supplements.

Ultimate Edition mentioned awareness of Bubblegum Crisis explicitly, if I recall, as the reason they chose not to call Glitter Boys "Boomers" because they found out the term had been used by BGC?

Actually wasn't the entire RPG going to be named Boomers too, instead of Rifts?

Which is all strange since while the anime OVA did begin in 1987, the earliest english VHS release I could find was in 1995: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... p?id=33400 so I have no idea how Siembieda found out about this.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Check out Daemonium only one which contains most of the elements for rifts
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Robotech and other giant robot anime of the 70s and 80s are obviously an influence.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Willy Elektrix wrote:I'

It's interesting that almost everything that anyone has mentioned has been cartoons. Here's another one. Wizards is a 1970s American animated film that is about war in a post-apocalyptic world. One side is a mechanized army (that resemble Nazis). The other side are magic-users, pixies, and forest dwellers..
Longest extended lead-up to the Indy Solution. :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”