Movement and attacks - how do they interact?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kealios
D-Bee

Movement and attacks - how do they interact?

Unread post by Kealios »

I haven't played anything from Palladium in, oh. 2 decades? I was so wary because of all the really negative stuff about the game and company out there, but Dead Reign really piqued my interest. I am now studying to GM the game for some friends who have never roleplayed before.

Attacks, I get.
Movement...meh.

1) A zombie is 20 feet away. I want to run up to it and clock it with my staff. Is this two actions (one for movement, no matter how close the target is, and one for the melee attack) or can I somehow combine this?

2) A bad guy is walking down the street towards the alley I just ducked into. He knows I am there. My back is against the wall, just out of sight, with my him out. As he nears, I pop out and take a shot at him. Is this "movement" and so it's own action?

Thanks for advising.
Kealios
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Movement and attacks - how do they interact?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

your SPD attribute x15 is how many feet you can travel in a 15 second melee.* divide that by your number of attacks to figure out how far you can move during each attack. note that by the rules as they currently stand, running is free.. it does not take up an action in and of itself. so you can run and shoot, run and dodge, etc.

*book value is SPD attribute x20 = number of yards per minute. 1 minute = 4 melee's. thus SPDx5 would be the number of yards per melee. 1 yard = 3ft. so SPDx15 would be number of feet per melee.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kealios
D-Bee

Unread post by Kealios »

Much thanks. I couldn't find anything that said "movement is free", do that is a big help.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Kealios wrote:Much thanks. I couldn't find anything that said "movement is free", do that is a big help.

If a character's movement isn't a large percentage of his max movement then I will allow most actions, if they are really moving then their possible action options are reduced.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Unread post by wizardofthenorth »

Kealios wrote:Much thanks. I couldn't find anything that said "movement is free", do that is a big help.

Indeed. This might seem an obvious point to those familiar with the rules...but this point should really be mentioned in the rulebooks. I am sure it is not mentioned in my rifts rue...nor after the bomb.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Sometimes it pays to have fewer attacks since then you move at a higher speed per action.

This is avoided only if you use house rules to distribute attacks evenly instead of bunching the extra ones at the end.
Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

Yea, those zombies can move faster then one thinks it can. But attacks and movement should be joint actions but they incur appropriate penalties
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.

Return to “Dead Reign™”