Frequency Absorption and WIFI

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Looonatic
Adventurer

Frequency Absorption and WIFI

Unread post by Looonatic »

So, I'm trying to make a pitch to my GM for a character that can access the Internet wirelessly and act as a human computer. I'm thinking that Frequency Absorption is one of the keys to this. It lets you send and receive on radio frequencies and see the entire RF spectrum. It's not tough to see a character with that power to establish a WIFI connection. But to act as a computer might require another power. Perhaps Machine Merge or Mechanolink? DO you think one of those powers in tandem with Frequency Absorption could allow for full wireless internet access?
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Frequency Absorption and WIFI

Unread post by eliakon »

Looonatic wrote:So, I'm trying to make a pitch to my GM for a character that can access the Internet wirelessly and act as a human computer. I'm thinking that Frequency Absorption is one of the keys to this. It lets you send and receive on radio frequencies and see the entire RF spectrum. It's not tough to see a character with that power to establish a WIFI connection. But to act as a computer might require another power. Perhaps Machine Merge or Mechanolink? DO you think one of those powers in tandem with Frequency Absorption could allow for full wireless internet access?

I think your best bet is to sit down with your GM.
Then you say "Okay, so the character concept I want to make is this <spell out exactly what you are looking for> So I was wondering if we could make a new power called say 'Computer Dude' that gives them these powers <spell out exactly what abilities you think the power should give>. Since that is a broad category of powers and its pretty useful it would be a major power. What do you think?"
Then the two of you discuss it.
This is probably going to get far better results, and less likely to get an upset game master than trying to figure out how to 'justify' it.
And hey, when your done you can put the resulting power up on the New Powers thread :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Does HU have ghost in the machine psi?
If you went with your suggestion i think that would work, as suggested ypu might want to just make up a new power, that way you can determine speed, storage, connections...ect.
Do you know shadowrun? They have an ability for a group called otaku in the game, might be worrh seeing how they do it.
Also the rifters had a good online combat and access write up. I want to say it was in like the 3rd one ...definitely under 10 though.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

eliakon wrote:
Looonatic wrote:So, I'm trying to make a pitch to my GM for a character that can access the Internet wirelessly and act as a human computer. I'm thinking that Frequency Absorption is one of the keys to this. It lets you send and receive on radio frequencies and see the entire RF spectrum. It's not tough to see a character with that power to establish a WIFI connection. But to act as a computer might require another power. Perhaps Machine Merge or Mechanolink? DO you think one of those powers in tandem with Frequency Absorption could allow for full wireless internet access?

I think your best bet is to sit down with your GM.
Then you say "Okay, so the character concept I want to make is this <spell out exactly what you are looking for> So I was wondering if we could make a new power called say 'Computer Dude' that gives them these powers <spell out exactly what abilities you think the power should give>. Since that is a broad category of powers and its pretty useful it would be a major power. What do you think?"
Then the two of you discuss it.
This is probably going to get far better results, and less likely to get an upset game master than trying to figure out how to 'justify' it.
And hey, when your done you can put the resulting power up on the New Powers thread :D

Not a bad idea. I've found in my experience as both a player and a GM that offering the GM options to consider is a good thing.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Machine Merge and any kind of WIFI-capable computer or laptop would give you computer-abilities and WIFI-access anytime you're merged. You'd just homebrew it that the merger was permanent and the computer/laptop merged so perfectly as to not even be visible or otherwise detectable. Good idea to pick the best computer possible of course since you won't get to upgrade it, at least hardware wise (I imagine you could still upgrade the software, watch out for computer viruses though!).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

You could base it on some psychic powers (I don't know if they've ever made it into HU from Rifts) like Machine Ghost, and some of the advanced forms of Telemechanics.

Power wise, you might be able to adapt the Minor Power: Radar (instead of using it as a "radar" you've learned to send signals). I'd probably require that you spend 2 minor powers for the variant if you wanted to keep the base radar abilities, otherwise if it was just the variant features desired just leave it at normal cost (1). You'd still have to combine it with another power (mechano-link, which is a Major).

Another option might be to combine Mechano-Link with cyber-implant or two. Then again if going the cyber-route, you could just go pure cyber.

You might also want to check out one of the early Rifters (1-5 range) on Hacking Across the Megaverse, it might have a power combination that does what you want essentially.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Firstly I had a character with Frequency Absorption and I loved it. So I wouldn't toss it out completely but ...

Mechano-Link does say "(The Link) can be remote if the machine has some kind of modem link" and the power itself does not state a range. Wifi may not be explicitly a "Modem" but that's what happens when you use a book from the late 90's / early 2000's. My instincts would be the negotiate the kinks of that power.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”