Why are Ophid's called Ophid's?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Why are Ophid's called Ophid's?

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

I have perhaps just overlooked it but I am looking for a canon answer as to why Ophid's Grasslands are actually called "Ophid's".

The "grasslands" part is pretty clear, of course, but who is/was Ophid's?

Is there a canon answer?

Kindest regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Why are Ophid's called Ophid's?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Isnt it greek for snakes? So lots of snakes slithering through the tall grass?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

The Dark Elf wrote:Isnt it greek for snakes? So lots of snakes slithering through the tall grass?

Wow. I never bothered to check whether "Ophid" is a real word and, indeed, it is ... and so, funnily enough, is also the name of the Western Empire city "Ophidia".

Wiktionary wrote:Etymology
From Ancient Greek ὄφις ‎(óphis, “snake”‎).

Prefix
ophid-
Of or pertaining to snakes

Ophidia
A taxonomic clade within the order Squamata – modern snakes and all reptiles more closely related to snakes than to other living groups of lizards.

There are no snakes in the Ophid's IIRC, I will check, though. CORRECTION: According to Monsters & Animals, there are rattlesnakes, both types in the whole north. Cottonmouths in water bodies and diamondbacks everywhere else. (Not that I am aware of any indication that snakes of any sort are rampant in Ophid's, though.)

Great explanation, Dark Elf!

Is there any other canon answer?
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I have my uses lol
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given that greek is not a language of that world though, and the name is possessive, there was probably some person/entity named Ophid it is named after.

IMO, the neatest explanation is that in more ancient times the inhabitants worshipped some deity named Ophid, who they claimed created the grasslands for them to live on.. and the resulting name just stuck when other inhabitants moved in.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

glitterboy2098 wrote:given that greek is not a language of that world

True, but then placenames are also in English and that is not a Palladium language either ... so one language is as good or bad an argument as any other.

glitterboy2098 wrote:the name is possessive, there was probably some person/entity named Ophid it is named after..

Hah, a grammar argument. I love that. I agree, the name strongly suggests that probably there was a person/entity who became the namegiver.

glitterboy2098 wrote:IMO, the neatest explanation is that in more ancient times the inhabitants worshipped some deity named Ophid, who they claimed created the grasslands for them to live on.. and the resulting name just stuck when other inhabitants moved in.

That is one of several ideas I share and actually the way I played it. Other possibilities are that it could have been some explorer, a conquerer, a random elf, etc. etc.

Still, I wonder if there is a canon answer?

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

glitterboy2098 wrote:given that greek is not a language of that world though, and the name is possessive, there was probably some person/entity named Ophid it is named after.

I think the Wolfen Empire will disagree with you on this. They draw very heavily on the latin language for naming their military.
My personal take is that in times past, there was a type of snake that was probably very common and very dangerous living there. Maybe the large armoured snake from LOD? It was considered the personal domain of them until something happened that either drove them away, made them loose interest and move on, or put into a magical hibernation. Hopefully the new colonists don't wake them up!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My personal explanation is that it was named after the Western Explorer who "found" the region. Their name got put on all the maps.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Greek =/= Latin.. And the wolfen's roman elements are something of an oddity in setting, given the lack of any apparent source of it in their Germanic/Scandinavian style pte-empire culture.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Greek =/= Latin.. And the wolfen's roman elements are something of an oddity in setting, given the lack of any apparent source of it in their Germanic/Scandinavian style pte-empire culture.

Well, clearly two wolfen, Romulus and Remus, were raised by a Roman legionnaire who was rifted onto the Palladium world. :D
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

dreicunan wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Greek =/= Latin.. And the wolfen's roman elements are something of an oddity in setting, given the lack of any apparent source of it in their Germanic/Scandinavian style pte-empire culture.

Well, clearly two wolfen, Romulus and Remus, were raised by a Roman legionnaire who was rifted onto the Palladium world. :D

Or, two Wolfen, rifted to ancient Earth, raised Romulus and Remus and taught them their ways, beginning the Roman Empire.
Library Ogre

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Mark Hall wrote:Sorted.

Well done, Mark :-)

I still wonder if there is the tiniest shred of information somewhere in the canon why Ophid's is called Ophid's. This question drives me nuts. I can and have come up with various ideas but on this particular issue I would love to know the "truth".

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I'm not aware of any canon passage in any of the books for the name.
Library Ogre

If they had a PDF of Northern Hinterlands, I'd go with a search for the word Ophid.

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”