Verbal Can't

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Verbal Can't

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was wondering about how well spells which allow you to travel through various states of matter allow you to talk. For spells like Fly Like the Eagle, Swim Like a Fish, and Travel Through Earth, do they allow you to speak? It seems like the first two would since the human mouth can already create words, but are you able to pronounce them well enough to cast another spell? For travelling through the earth, could you do either? If you had two people using the spell underground, could you speak to each other? Could you speak to an earth elemental?

-Vek
"Word"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Verbal Can't

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I was wondering about how well spells which allow you to travel through various states of matter allow you to talk. For spells like Fly Like the Eagle, Swim Like a Fish, and Travel Through Earth, do they allow you to speak? It seems like the first two would since the human mouth can already create words, but are you able to pronounce them well enough to cast another spell? For travelling through the earth, could you do either? If you had two people using the spell underground, could you speak to each other? Could you speak to an earth elemental?

-Vek
"Word"

He cannot cast spells or speak while traveling through solid matter. (bottom of travel through earth)

id say yes for fly like an eagle unless you are doing a powerdive
id say no for swim like a dolphin for underwater except for how people already make noise underwater.
swim like a fish (superior) id say yes, but no for swim like a fish (minor)
and anything that let you breathe water as well would be a yes.

for the ones that are yes id give a negative to the speak roll until you got used to it. People are pretty adaptable.
Last edited by kiralon on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Took me a while to get that title reference. Subtle. :)

With spells such as fly as eagle or swim as fish I would say they act no differently than if you were travelling in those mediums using mundane means such as flapping your wings (in the case of winged creatures capable of speech) or using the swimming skill. You are not magically passing through air or water molecules; you are flying or swimming, the air or water diverting around you as normal; you're just doing it really well coz of magic. So you can talk in the air just like you can while standing still on the ground, but will be limited by distance, the sound of rushing wind, thin air at altitude, difficulty in catching breath at great flying speeds, etc., just like if you were on a hover cycle or something. You can't speak underwater with swim as fish any more than you can without it. There is another spell that allows you to speak underwater.

With travel through earth/stone and similar spells, they act a bit differently, as you are physically passing through the substance using magic. If the travel through earth spell says you can't speak, then I would extrapolate this to include all the other spells where you literally travel 'through' the substance, and put it down to Palladium's general inconsistency in the details they note for each spell.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would allow them to freely cast spells while under the effect of those spells; I think "Unable to cast spells" would be a big enough drawback to be mentioned. But I also don't view the "Fly as" and "Swim as" spells as being polymorphs.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:I would allow them to freely cast spells while under the effect of those spells; I think "Unable to cast spells" would be a big enough drawback to be mentioned. But I also don't view the "Fly as" and "Swim as" spells as being polymorphs.

I would agree with this line of logic.
Especially since we DO have spells that DO go out of their way to call out that they do prevent spell casting.
And since you don't actually become an eagle, or a fish then you shouldn't be limited in any way.
YMMV of course.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The only issue I see FatE having would be from high altitude. I don't recall LotD1 mentioning any penalties to casting when it came to altitude sickness.

I will point out that the lesser version of SaaF states those under the spell can hold their breath for five minutes at a time. So I don't think it was intended for one to be able to cast while using that spell. I'd have anyone attempting use the rules for casting while underwater from the Ocean magic section in WB7. With the superior version, I think maybe doing that the first two or three times the caster attempted that, and then having the experience to not have to worry about the penalty from that point forward is fair.

As for TTtE, as has been pointed out, that spell specifically denies the ability to speak while passing through solid matter.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”