need help converting a 1st Ed monster

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavenStarver
Explorer

need help converting a 1st Ed monster

Unread post by RavenStarver »

The Cobra Golem Guardians from the Catacombs of Dragonwright adventure. I don't want to put in actual Golems as they don't yet have a reliable way to hurt them, we have no magic casters at all, and the Mind Mage focused on Super TK.
The vampires won't actually be too much of a problem, they've got a couple silver weapons and everyone is carrying clubs and quarterstaffs.
What creatures should I replace the Cobra Golems with?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: need help converting a 1st Ed monster

Unread post by The Beast »

I don't see anything saying that these guardians are resistant to normal attacks, and they don't have a high amount of HP.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As I don't know what you are referencing, but if they can handle Vampires, then you could replace these golems with another type of undead like a Mummy or a a non-undead creature similar in capability/function (Worm of Taut maybe?).

Alternatively just use them as is.

Regular Golems I'm not sure I see a problem using them as they don't require anything special to take down as you still need to tackle the natural AR when you hit. Magic Fire/energy attacks do 1/2 damage, along with physical attacks (nor is there a reason the Golem has to be at full health). You could also just allow them to find applicable magic weapons before/at the encounter to get full damage capability.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, just have the Mind Mage Super TK the Golem and smash it into the walls.

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
RavenStarver
Explorer

How much Sdc would you give them?
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

:D Yes these are just one of the many monsters I'm anxious to see the Madman convert to 2nd
edition whenever he gets the Tombs of Gersidi adventure done. Gen Con, Gen Con, Gen Con.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Like, what's the general rule of thumb for converting a creature from 1st to 2nd? Give them the same amount of SDC that they currently have as HP?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

RavenStarver wrote:Like, what's the general rule of thumb for converting a creature from 1st to 2nd? Give them the same amount of SDC that they currently have as HP?

If you want quick & easy, yes. I was thinking at most the guardians would have 1d4*10.
RavenStarver
Explorer

The Beast wrote:
RavenStarver wrote:Like, what's the general rule of thumb for converting a creature from 1st to 2nd? Give them the same amount of SDC that they currently have as HP?

If you want quick & easy, yes. I was thinking at most the guardians would have 1d4*10.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. So I looked at the stats listed for the Create Golem spell in PF1 and tried to compare it to the PF2 version of the spell. I then looked at the Cobra Golem Guardian from Yin-Sloth Jungles. I did my best to adjust appropriately, but in the end it would be what you feel comfortable with. The most notable changes were to give the Cobra Golem Guardians the other golem abilities (which 1st Edition golems didn't have either), and that includes Supernatural P.S. As such, I also tried to adjust the P.S. requirements for freeing an ensnared victim. Hope this helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Cobra Golem Guardian
Attribute Equivalents of Note: I.Q. 6, P.S. 21, P.P. 16, P.E. 25, P.B. 3, Spd 15.
Horror Factor: 14.
A.R.: 17.
Hit Points/S.D.C.: 100.
Attacks per melee round: Four.
Damage: Tail slap does 2D6 damage (plus P.S. damage) or its bite does 1D8 plus poison. A failed save vs lethal poison causes an additional 3D6 damage. A save means no damage from poison.
The creatures can also jump on and coil around their victim. While this attack deals no damage, it’s intend is to keep characters trapped. This attack pins the opponent, with little hope of freedom. Only victims possessing supernatural strength have a chance of breaking free from the snake’s grip alone. For every point of Supernatural P.S. above 15, the character has a 10% chance of breaking free from the snake's grip. Allies however can uncoil the snake with a combined mortal P.S. of 50 (or Supernatural P.S. of 25) to free an ensnared individual. Otherwise only slaying the snake will release its binding hold.
Bonuses: +3 to strike and parry; no initiative or dodge bonuses.
Skills of Note: Magically understands all languages 96% (cannot speak), knows basic math 80%, land navigation 80%, track humanoids 30%, and climb 40%/35%.
Special abilities: Nightvision 200 feet (61 m), supernatural P.S. and endurance (never fatigues), impervious to poisons, drugs, disease, heat, cold, horror factor, phobias, fear magic, illusions, psionics (including empathy, telepathy, and bio-manipulation). Magic fire and energy does half damage, but all magic weapons do full damage. Individuals with Supernatural Strength inflict full damage. Normal weapons and attacks that penetrate the natural A.R. do half damage. Furthermore, the Cobra Golem Guardians don’t need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep, and have no emotions, desires, or personality.
A golem will rise again 24 hours after the moment of its destruction, completely regenerated and at full strength, unless its heart is removed. Otherwise, the Cobra Golem Guardians regenerate 4 S.D.C. per hour.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
RavenStarver
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. So I looked at the stats listed for the Create Golem spell in PF1 and tried to compare it to the PF2 version of the spell. I then looked at the Cobra Golem Guardian from Yin-Sloth Jungles. I did my best to adjust appropriately, but in the end it would be what you feel comfortable with. The most notable changes were to give the Cobra Golem Guardians the other golem abilities (which 1st Edition golems didn't have either), and that includes Supernatural P.S. As such, I also tried to adjust the P.S. requirements for freeing an ensnared victim. Hope this helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Cobra Golem Guardian
Attribute Equivalents of Note: I.Q. 6, P.S. 21, P.P. 16, P.E. 25, P.B. 3, Spd 15.
Horror Factor: 14.
A.R.: 17.
Hit Points/S.D.C.: 100.
Attacks per melee round: Four.
Damage: Tail slap does 2D6 damage (plus P.S. damage) or its bite does 1D8 plus poison. A failed save vs lethal poison causes an additional 3D6 damage. A save means no damage from poison.
The creatures can also jump on and coil around their victim. While this attack deals no damage, it’s intend is to keep characters trapped. This attack pins the opponent, with little hope of freedom. Only victims possessing supernatural strength have a chance of breaking free from the snake’s grip alone. For every point of Supernatural P.S. above 15, the character has a 10% chance of breaking free from the snake's grip. Allies however can uncoil the snake with a combined mortal P.S. of 50 (or Supernatural P.S. of 25) to free an ensnared individual. Otherwise only slaying the snake will release its binding hold.
Bonuses: +3 to strike and parry; no initiative or dodge bonuses.
Skills of Note: Magically understands all languages 96% (cannot speak), knows basic math 80%, land navigation 80%, track humanoids 30%, and climb 40%/35%.
Special abilities: Nightvision 200 feet (61 m), supernatural P.S. and endurance (never fatigues), impervious to poisons, drugs, disease, heat, cold, horror factor, phobias, fear magic, illusions, psionics (including empathy, telepathy, and bio-manipulation). Magic fire and energy does half damage, but all magic weapons do full damage. Individuals with Supernatural Strength inflict full damage. Normal weapons and attacks that penetrate the natural A.R. do half damage. Furthermore, the Cobra Golem Guardians don’t need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep, and have no emotions, desires, or personality.
A golem will rise again 24 hours after the moment of its destruction, completely regenerated and at full strength, unless its heart is removed. Otherwise, the Cobra Golem Guardians regenerate 4 S.D.C. per hour.

Thank you soon much this is just what I needed!! :D

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”