Map of Bizantium and its Colonies: Errors, Errata and Update

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What should I do? Which is the correct interpretation?

Do Nothing! Kiridin should stay huge; you had it right the first time.
13%
Do Nothing! It's too late! Maybe Bill and Kevin meant it to be smaller back when Hinterlands was published, but now that you're published, your Bizantium map is canon!
No votes
Fix it! Send Kevin and Wayne the corrected version!
40%
Chill, dude. It's not a big deal either way.
33%
Other (Please explain below)
13%

Total votes: 15

Hotrod
Knight

Map of Bizantium and its Colonies: Errors, Errata and Update

Unread post by Hotrod »

I put a lot of thought and work into the maps I make. I've re-made maps almost from the start to correct errors found late in the map-making process. Today, as I was taking a look at this amazing hand-drawn Palladium Fantasy map, I had a revelation. I think I made a big mistake that affects three separate maps I've made, and plays a central role in one.

The problem is Kiridin. As I've interpreted it/portrayed it, Kiridin runs along the entire western coast of Dragon's Claw. You can see that in my Kiridin map, my published map in Bizantium and the Northern Islands, and my Land of the Damned map. I think I wildly over-estimated the size of the region.

Here are the published maps of Kiridin and the Northern Hinterlands, from Northern Hinterlands page 182. The only way the map on the left fits into the map on the right is if interpret Kiridin to include about half of the Hinterlands, making the region about as big as the un-colonized parts of Ophid's Grasslands. That's what I did for all my maps, because I like making smaller maps fit with larger ones. Note that there's no scale for either published map.

The text of Hinterlands seems to contradict this interpretation. As I've interpreted it, the nine Kiridin nations, with maybe 70,000 people in total, claim territories that total up to the size of the southwest United States in area. Each nation of Kiridin has only 5,000-10,000 people per Hinterlands, p182, but takes up an area the size of Michigan, as I've plotted it. These territories are gigantic for such small populations. Barbarians are supposed to be territorial, but as I've done them, they could probably march their entire nation through every rival nation's territory without their rivals ever noticing.

All the clans winter over in Kadriel, which requires them all to make two migrations each year. Per my interpretation, that would require 1,000 miles of annual "as the bird flies" journeys every year for some clans. Annual "Trail of Tears" migrations don't seem realistic without using some sort of magic (which the barbarians do not tolerate). It could be more practical for barbarians that travel by sea, but four of the Kiridin nations are landlocked.

Moreover, the coastline on the Kiridin nation map on the left of p182 continues on south past its borders, which contradicts the interpretation of Kiriding making up the western shore of Dragon's Claw. This COULD simply be a river that drains into Dragon's claw, but I doubt it.

I strongly suspect that whoever made the Kiridin nation map on page 182 took the map next to it, blew it up, and used the incorrect larger region, ignoring the line that the "KIRIDIN" label is placed over. If so, then my maps have propagated this error into the Bizantium and the Northern Islands map.

If the smaller interpretation is the correct one, I can fix it. It would require me to do some interpretation of the Kiridin nations map into a new outer border, but I can come up with something that should work. Re-working the borders and labels is a hassle, but it's doable. Although it's too late for the Bizantium book, I could send Kevin and Wayne the revised map for future printings. I could also post corrected maps for public download.

What do you think?

EDIT: After some re-working, I've re-done the Kiridin part of the map. You can see the revised version here.
Last edited by Hotrod on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Did I Mess This Up? What Should I Do?

Unread post by kiralon »

It does look as if Kiridin is supposed to finish just before the tip of the dragons claw, but your picture is higher quality, and fills in a pretty much blank area anyway (sorry centaurs) so I think the new map should stay. The river would play a natural border and the Barbarians are holding back shadow coasters from getting to the woods. Cross the river at your peril.
It also says the Barbarians go and play in the ophids grasslands and horde lands so this makes it a bit easier for them to do so.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I blame the Wild Lords. They already are linked to the realms enough to influence the weather and the like....perhaps they also warp space (and possibly time) for their followers.
To the natives it is a properly large (but not to large) area....but they can also make the migration quickly. Outsiders though find it to be a vast wilderness with people widely scattered if found at all......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Explanation... CLAIMED TERRITORY. It isn't like there is an accord that denotes political boarders, is there? Especially for the barbarian nations. Feel free to make them overlap, especially the barbarian territories into each other. You do some beautiful work.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Dude, correct it.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Yeah, I think you're totally correct with your assumption that whoever made the maps in Northern Hinterlands got confused and used the wrong outline when detailing the Kiridin lands. I noticed myself years ago that they weren't exactly the same but it never clicked that they had used the larger 'northern hinterlands' outline; I just presumed they had been a bit slack when enlarging it. It is totally understandable how this affected your map - there's no need to beat yourself up about it, and if you left it as it is no one would blame you!

However, if I was you I would want to get it done right just for the sake of completeness, regardless of the fact that the map in Byzantium probably wouldn't get updated anyway. And I'd like to see it myself, so I voted you should do it again! It's very easy for me to do that when I'm not the one doing all the work! :D
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Soldier of Od
Hero

Also, I hate to say it and I wouldn't have brought it up if you weren't already talking about amending this map, but I think that Glen may have made a mistake when placing the Me'zfii Onh colony.

According to the Wolfen Empire sourcebook, the pirates' base in the Mindprancer adventure is located at the 'tip of the first toe of Dragon's Claw'. Me'zfii Onh to the base is three days journey to the sand forest (presumably on foot) and a further ten days on foot (or four days on horseback). I always assumed the 'first toe' meant the shortest, northernmost toe. But I guess it could be considered the longest, southermost one. Either way, it doesn't fit with a 13 day journey through dense forest from where Me'zfii Onh is placed on the map in the Byantium book.

The colony also mentions its dealings with the 'local' Ursa Rex wolfen tribe, whose lands are on the eastern side of Dragons Claw, not the west, and there is also a lodge for the Oak People Tribe, and some smaller tribes in the area, which would fit with Oak People territory, which is pretty wide reaching. The mention of both Ursa Rex and Oak People wolfen tribes may be just another mistake, or it may indicate that the colony lies close to both territories. The fact that the leader of the colony also acts as an ambassador from Byzantium to the Wolfen Empire also implies it should be in Wolfen Territory (how can she be a successful ambassador to the wolfen when located in the heart of the Kiridin lands? By sea only?).

Obviously, the original Mez'fii Onh adventure in Adventures in Northern Wilderness was written way before Northern Hinterlands, so there wouldn't be any mention of the Kiridin, but when it was reprinted in Wolfen Empire, Northern Hinterlands and the Kiridin had already been established. With no mention of the Kiridin around Mez'fii Onh it is difficult to imagine it is in Kiridin lands. Though this may be just because of lazy cut and paste from Palladium. Either way, with all the details included about the colony and the journey from it, it is hard to fit it in to what was written later on about the western side of the Claw.

Either way, it looks to me like Me'zfii Onh should be on the eastern side of Dragons Claw. If it were me I would do a straight swap with one of the two other colonies detailed in the Byzantium book, probably Lyrna, as it doesn't really matter so much where that colony is located, but that would involve rewites and reissues, which I honestly don't see happening. I guess it is up to you if you want to move Me'zfii Onh to a location supported by the Wolfen Empire book, or leave it where it is according to the Byzantium book. Or perhaps even talk to Glen about it.

Sorry if I have put another spanner in the works, but as you were looking to correct errors I thought I would mention it as you wouldn't want to do it again if someone else noticed this and pointed it out later. I know it is an almost impossible task for writers of new books to cover every little mention in all of the old ones without making a mistake - Glen's not infallible (like with this and the age of Wolvenar thing), and I wouldn't expect him to be! If Glen is happy to let the colony stay where he has put it we will just have to try our best to work with it how it is!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The map is fine. And even if there are a few bits off its hardly noticeable. I say focus on new stuff my friend and not worry about what's done and already in print.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Thanks to all for the thoughts and the kind words. I think I'll re-work the borders. I'll send in a revised version to Palladium when I get it done for future re-prints, and I'll post the revisions to my DeviantArt page as well.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Soldier of Od wrote:Also, I hate to say it and I wouldn't have brought it up if you weren't already talking about amending this map, but I think that Glen may have made a mistake when placing the Me'zfii Onh colony.

According to the Wolfen Empire sourcebook, the pirates' base in the Mindprancer adventure is located at the 'tip of the first toe of Dragon's Claw'. Me'zfii Onh to the base is three days journey to the sand forest (presumably on foot) and a further ten days on foot (or four days on horseback). I always assumed the 'first toe' meant the shortest, northernmost toe. But I guess it could be considered the longest, southermost one. Either way, it doesn't fit with a 13 day journey through dense forest from where Me'zfii Onh is placed on the map in the Byantium book.

The colony also mentions its dealings with the 'local' Ursa Rex wolfen tribe, whose lands are on the eastern side of Dragons Claw, not the west, and there is also a lodge for the Oak People Tribe, and some smaller tribes in the area, which would fit with Oak People territory, which is pretty wide reaching. The mention of both Ursa Rex and Oak People wolfen tribes may be just another mistake, or it may indicate that the colony lies close to both territories. The fact that the leader of the colony also acts as an ambassador from Byzantium to the Wolfen Empire also implies it should be in Wolfen Territory (how can she be a successful ambassador to the wolfen when located in the heart of the Kiridin lands? By sea only?).

Obviously, the original Mez'fii Onh adventure in Adventures in Northern Wilderness was written way before Northern Hinterlands, so there wouldn't be any mention of the Kiridin, but when it was reprinted in Wolfen Empire, Northern Hinterlands and the Kiridin had already been established. With no mention of the Kiridin around Mez'fii Onh it is difficult to imagine it is in Kiridin lands. Though this may be just because of lazy cut and paste from Palladium. Either way, with all the details included about the colony and the journey from it, it is hard to fit it in to what was written later on about the western side of the Claw.

Either way, it looks to me like Me'zfii Onh should be on the eastern side of Dragons Claw. If it were me I would do a straight swap with one of the two other colonies detailed in the Byzantium book, probably Lyrna, as it doesn't really matter so much where that colony is located, but that would involve rewites and reissues, which I honestly don't see happening. I guess it is up to you if you want to move Me'zfii Onh to a location supported by the Wolfen Empire book, or leave it where it is according to the Byzantium book. Or perhaps even talk to Glen about it.

Sorry if I have put another spanner in the works, but as you were looking to correct errors I thought I would mention it as you wouldn't want to do it again if someone else noticed this and pointed it out later. I know it is an almost impossible task for writers of new books to cover every little mention in all of the old ones without making a mistake - Glen's not infallible (like with this and the age of Wolvenar thing), and I wouldn't expect him to be! If Glen is happy to let the colony stay where he has put it we will just have to try our best to work with it how it is!

Soldier of Od, thank you so much for your thoughts on my maps. You make some excellent points about Mez'fii Onh's placement. I had several conversations on the subject of the placement of tiny colonies with Glen Evans and Wayne. I placed Mez'fii Onh (and all the tiny colony placements), according to specific guidance I got from Palladium. I'm not certain as to why they wanted it there, but they're the guys publishing the map, so I followed their guidance.

It's entirely possible that they (and I, by extension) placed Mez'fii Onh inconsistently with previous canon. There were several complicating factors involved. First, as you mention, Kiridin was written up by Bill Coffin for Northern Hinterlands, while Wolfen Empire's material on Mez'fii Onh was written by Thom Bartold and Kevin Siembieda. Second, both manuscripts were written and edited years apart. Third, Mez'fii Onh's location is vague.

Mez'fii Onh was not marked in Wolfen Empre or either of its first-edition counterparts, and thirteen days' foot travel isn't much to go on; that could be 200-300 miles. Even the location of Jason's cave isn't particularly precise: somewhere around the tip of the first toe of Dragon's Claw. How precise is "somewhere around", and which claw is the first? The other piece of information is that it lies where the tide rises and falls by the greatest margin; I don't know tide cycles enough to tell you where the biggest rise and fall in tides would be in Dragon's Claw. If the location of Jason's cave is somewhere on the western banks of Dragon's Claw, then an over-land journey from the currently-marked location seems reasonable. If it's down at the south end, or on the eastern banks (which was also my initial interpretation), then you're right.

Reading the description of Mez'fii Onh and the Oak People, it seems consistent that the Oak People would be on the western banks of Dragon's Claw, as the local tribes outnumber the Oak People. As for the Ursa Rex, their territory is defined as their capital and northward; there is no western limit that I saw. The territorial concerns of the Wolfen tribes don't seem to be so sharply defined as, say, the Western Empire.

Even a smaller Kiridin is still a large area, and the local barbarian nations might be willing to tolerate/ignore a tiny outpost like Mez'fii Onh, which has a population of "less than three hundred" according to Wolfen Empire p102. Certainly, the Kiridin lands overlap with many of the described territories of the Wolfen tribes in general, and the Oak People in particular. This likely comes down to issues of claimed territories vs actual controlled territories. It's a big world.

On the subject of claimed vs controlled territory, the "border" of Mez'fii Onh as I put it in the Bizantium map is a bit ambitious and large for such a small outpost(also true for the Shadow Colonies in general). It's probably more accurate to say that the true border is where the treeline starts, but colonies historically are chartered according to their intended growth area, not the limits of their control.

Eventually, Mez'fii Onh could be a flashpoint for a war involving Bizantium, Kiridin nations, and Wolfen tribes, but I don't see such a tiny settlement as significant enough to matter very much to any of them. Wolfen Empire mentions that its 2-story stone keep has withstood a few sieges.

I suspect you may be right, but since I got clear guidance from Palladium on this, I won't re-locate this colony unless they ask me to. I'll bring it up with them if I get a chance.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Yeah, all good points about Me'zfii Onh. It's exact location wasn't set in stone and you could interpret it differently. It's not a big deal but I felt I ought to mention it. I think I'll still have it over the other side in my games! ;)

If you're redoing the Kiridin lands though, I just noticed they have included the outline of Kadriel (and therefore by extention, Joruuth) on the map on page 139 of Northern Hinterlands. That might help you with the others! I think the only big difference will be that Throhan will be slightly bigger and rounded rather than pointy, but the others should remain more or less the same. Good luck!
Rifter Contributor:
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

If this is corrected I would beg for the love of all things that it NOT be a shadow update (or at least not JUST). Redoing a map would be a great thing for the Cutting Room Floor (there is that Errata Section for a reason!). Maybe print it in the Rifter as well.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Soldier of Od wrote:Yeah, all good points about Me'zfii Onh. It's exact location wasn't set in stone and you could interpret it differently. It's not a big deal but I felt I ought to mention it. I think I'll still have it over the other side in my games! ;)

If you're redoing the Kiridin lands though, I just noticed they have included the outline of Kadriel (and therefore by extention, Joruuth) on the map on page 139 of Northern Hinterlands. That might help you with the others! I think the only big difference will be that Throhan will be slightly bigger and rounded rather than pointy, but the others should remain more or less the same. Good luck!

That's a good point about Kadriel; it's not labeled, but I think you're right.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

eliakon wrote:If this is corrected I would beg for the love of all things that it NOT be a shadow update (or at least not JUST). Redoing a map would be a great thing for the Cutting Room Floor (there is that Errata Section for a reason!). Maybe print it in the Rifter as well.

I will pass on those suggestions to Wayne/Kevin with my revision. If they're ok with it, I'll also post the full revision to my DeviantArt gallery. Since Kiridin isn't the main focus of the published map, this may not be a big enough revision to merit putting into a Rifter; I'd prefer to have them publish some of my other maps instead.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I like your map, because of the high quality, even with the bigger Kiridin lands. That being said, if you have the will and initiative, I think redoing it smaller makes the most sense, and would seem more accurate to me.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:
eliakon wrote:If this is corrected I would beg for the love of all things that it NOT be a shadow update (or at least not JUST). Redoing a map would be a great thing for the Cutting Room Floor (there is that Errata Section for a reason!). Maybe print it in the Rifter as well.

I will pass on those suggestions to Wayne/Kevin with my revision. If they're ok with it, I'll also post the full revision to my DeviantArt gallery. Since Kiridin isn't the main focus of the published map, this may not be a big enough revision to merit putting into a Rifter; I'd prefer to have them publish some of my other maps instead.

You know what could be cool......
What if they put a couple pages of maps in each Rifter? (they could take out an ad page or two.....)
A few regular articles would be EPIC and I would seriously LOVE to see a series of maps for places. Even if its a place that I am not going to use as is, I love a good map.

SlaytheDragon
D-Bee

Unread post by SlaytheDragon »

eliakon wrote:You know what could be cool......
What if they put a couple pages of maps in each Rifter? (they could take out an ad page or two.....)
A few regular articles would be EPIC and I would seriously LOVE to see a series of maps for places. Even if its a place that I am not going to use as is, I love a good map.

YES! There need to be more detail oriented maps. I know that people put a lot of hard work into creating maps and it's something that should be recognized, and is a helpful addition to any roleplay. Maybe a full colored map, detailing the terrain like what was in the Rifts corebooks since their introduction. Even a few additional maps wouldn't take up that much room in a Rifter, and maps are always a good resource to have.
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Hotrod wrote:I put a lot of thought and work into the maps I make. I've re-made maps almost from the start to correct errors found late in the map-making process. Today, as I was taking a look at this amazing hand-drawn Palladium Fantasy map, I had a revelation. I think I made a big mistake that affects three separate maps I've made, and plays a central role in one.

The problem is Kiridin. As I've interpreted it/portrayed it, Kiridin runs along the entire western coast of Dragon's Claw. You can see that in my Kiridin map, my published map in Bizantium and the Northern Islands, and my Land of the Damned map. I think I wildly over-estimated the size of the region.

Here are the published maps of Kiridin and the Northern Hinterlands, from Northern Hinterlands page 182. The only way the map on the left fits into the map on the right is if interpret Kiridin to include about half of the Hinterlands, making the region about as big as the un-colonized parts of Ophid's Grasslands. That's what I did for all my maps, because I like making smaller maps fit with larger ones. Note that there's no scale for either published map.

The text of Hinterlands seems to contradict this interpretation. As I've interpreted it, the nine Kiridin nations, with maybe 70,000 people in total, claim territories that total up to the size of the southwest United States in area. Each nation of Kiridin has only 5,000-10,000 people per Hinterlands, p182, but takes up an area the size of Michigan, as I've plotted it. These territories are gigantic for such small populations. Barbarians are supposed to be territorial, but as I've done them, they could probably march their entire nation through every rival nation's territory without their rivals ever noticing.

All the clans winter over in Kadriel, which requires them all to make two migrations each year. Per my interpretation, that would require 1,000 miles of annual "as the bird flies" journeys every year for some clans. Annual "Trail of Tears" migrations don't seem realistic without using some sort of magic (which the barbarians do not tolerate). It could be more practical for barbarians that travel by sea, but four of the Kiridin nations are landlocked.

Moreover, the coastline on the Kiridin nation map on the left of p182 continues on south past its borders, which contradicts the interpretation of Kiriding making up the western shore of Dragon's Claw. This COULD simply be a river that drains into Dragon's claw, but I doubt it.

I strongly suspect that whoever made the Kiridin nation map on page 182 took the map next to it, blew it up, and used the incorrect larger region, ignoring the line that the "KIRIDIN" label is placed over. If so, then my maps have propagated this error into the Bizantium and the Northern Islands map.

If the smaller interpretation is the correct one, I can fix it. It would require me to do some interpretation of the Kiridin nations map into a new outer border, but I can come up with something that should work. Re-working the borders and labels is a hassle, but it's doable. Although it's too late for the Bizantium book, I could send Kevin and Wayne the revised map for future printings. I could also post corrected maps for public download.

What do you think?

I think it's off as it shouldn't be going under the Shadow Coast Colonies.. Kiridan should be bordering Nendelheim, The Sisters, Tohatha and any of the other western colonies. It should't be going under Deridan.

But this can be explained away simply that several different map makers disagree on where the actual borders/territories begin and end.

Also the barbarian tribes tend to roam about a bit during the spring, summer and fall months. So it's understandable that some would wander off a good long ways and thus ultimately confuse cartographers from the Shadow Coast as to where they normally are.

People from the colonies don't really know about the Wild Lords, and if any of them have heard of the Wild Lords they more than likely think they are just some weird spirits that those barbaric savages sacrifice to.

So I say keep the different maps and if it comes up in any future books just add a note that the mix up is a disagreement among those who attempted to map the areas.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the people of the Palladium world aren't doing detailed surveys that are scientifically accurate. A lot of old maps of the earth were horribly inaccurate, but they were considered good enough for the times.

http://wallpoper.com/images/00/22/43/96/earth-map_00224396.jpg

Just looking at the Americas in the above map you can see how things are way off compared to modern maps. Keep in mind a lot of the cartography actually is some form of guesswork. Considering a great amount of the Hinterlands has never been explored (At least by anyone from civilized parts of the Palladium World) a good bit of guess work and artistic liberties has to go into any map that is made.

So no worries... If anything we should adopt the fact that there isn't a consensus on the lands the barbarians seem to call home. Heck most people not from the area may not even be able to tell the difference between the various tribes/clans so it would be easy to get them confused or it may have been simpler to lump them all into one group.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Hotrod wrote:I put a lot of thought and work into the maps I make. I've re-made maps almost from the start to correct errors found late in the map-making process. Today, as I was taking a look at this amazing hand-drawn Palladium Fantasy map, I had a revelation. I think I made a big mistake that affects three separate maps I've made, and plays a central role in one.

What do you think?

I think it's off as it shouldn't be going under the Shadow Coast Colonies.. Kiridan should be bordering Nendelheim, The Sisters, Tohatha and any of the other western colonies. It should't be going under Deridan.

But this can be explained away simply that several different map makers disagree on where the actual borders/territories begin and end.

Also the barbarian tribes tend to roam about a bit during the spring, summer and fall months. So it's understandable that some would wander off a good long ways and thus ultimately confuse cartographers from the Shadow Coast as to where they normally are.

People from the colonies don't really know about the Wild Lords, and if any of them have heard of the Wild Lords they more than likely think they are just some weird spirits that those barbaric savages sacrifice to.

So I say keep the different maps and if it comes up in any future books just add a note that the mix up is a disagreement among those who attempted to map the areas.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the people of the Palladium world aren't doing detailed surveys that are scientifically accurate. A lot of old maps of the earth were horribly inaccurate, but they were considered good enough for the times.

Just looking at the Americas in the above map you can see how things are way off compared to modern maps. Keep in mind a lot of the cartography actually is some form of guesswork. Considering a great amount of the Hinterlands has never been explored (At least by anyone from civilized parts of the Palladium World) a good bit of guess work and artistic liberties has to go into any map that is made.

So no worries... If anything we should adopt the fact that there isn't a consensus on the lands the barbarians seem to call home. Heck most people not from the area may not even be able to tell the difference between the various tribes/clans so it would be easy to get them confused or it may have been simpler to lump them all into one group.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:I think it's off as it shouldn't be going under the Shadow Coast Colonies.. Kiridan should be bordering Nendelheim, The Sisters, Tohatha and any of the other western colonies. It should't be going under Deridan.

I like your approach, using in-universe reasoning and real-life historical map inaccuracies as a plausible rationale for my real-life mistake. I should have led with that. Of course, I pride myself in producing canon-accurate maps, and I'm not sure if I can be ok leaving the Bizantium and Kiridin maps as they are. Shoot, I've been meaning to revise my Bizantium map anyway, because I misspelled "Forlorn" as "Folorn" in Palladium's grand tradition of misspelling (I still like the "Sea of Despare"). Call it OCD, call it perfectionism, call it taking my art too seriously, but I just won't feel right leaving these maps un-corrected.

In any case, the error is now corrected in the latest version of my current project, the Land of the Damned map.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:
URLeader Hobbes wrote:I think it's off as it shouldn't be going under the Shadow Coast Colonies.. Kiridan should be bordering Nendelheim, The Sisters, Tohatha and any of the other western colonies. It should't be going under Deridan.

I like your approach, using in-universe reasoning and real-life historical map inaccuracies as a plausible rationale for my real-life mistake. I should have led with that. Of course, I pride myself in producing canon-accurate maps, and I'm not sure if I can be ok leaving the Bizantium and Kiridin maps as they are. Shoot, I've been meaning to revise my Bizantium map anyway, because I misspelled "Forlorn" as "Folorn" in Palladium's grand tradition of misspelling (I still like the "Sea of Despare"). Call it OCD, call it perfectionism, call it taking my art too seriously, but I just won't feel right leaving these maps un-corrected.

In any case, the error is now corrected in the latest version of my current project, the Land of the Damned map.

So we win with BOTH
Use the old map as is....and then the Rifter prints a 'letters from the Bizantium Royal Exploration Society" (or who ever they are again?) about how Sir Bob and his brave party has gone and done a new survey of the wilderness and he respectfully submits his new map correcting the inaccuracies of the Sir Bill expedition map......
Now they BOTH are useful, valid, the second map can be more accurate AND we get a flavor bit (and for added win we get to see one of these oft mentioned National Geographic expys in action!)

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Yes! Yes! It's not my fault! It's those incompetent hacks in the Bizantium Scouting Corps!

I should never break character again.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think what should be done should be based on how the maps in the books are supposed to be viewed.

Is it representative of in an in-game-world generated (ie representations of various game-world Cartographers) or meta-game generated (ie outside the game world). It is also possible this type of label for the maps may vary from map to map in how it should be viewed by players/GM and writers/artists.

If the maps are supposed to be taken as in-game-world generated. Then there is no need to fix anything since I would think Cartography's accuracy may not be entirely consistent/accurate, even in the real world. That would explain away contradictions and such potentially. Different "cartographers" worked on them, with different information, so the results may not match up.

If the maps are supposed to be taken as meta-game level information. Then yes I can see a need to fix them.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

My intent is to create maps that are meta-game and canon-accurate, but I like to include thematic elements that suggest that a well-researched cartographer could create the maps. A character could look at the map, marvel at the workmanship, and assume some sort of magic or divine influence was involved in its creation. Glen Evans played this up with the map I made for his adventure. I loved seeing it done that way.

I wrote up a short piece a while ago describing the Explorers Guild of Lazlo for the Rifts setting, as a way of introducing my Rifts maps as in-universe creations. It would be an interesting challenge to come up with an in-universe way of presenting these computer-made maps in a fantasy setting.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Hotrod wrote:Yes! Yes! It's not my fault! It's those incompetent hacks in the Bizantium Scouting Corps!

They weren't allowed to release any accurate maps to the public - sort sort of super binding troublesome signed contract by all parties (willing or not).... :wink:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It's your game, don't sweat it.
There are no "official PFRPG game tournaments so....*shrugs*

Just be glad you are not into the Magic card game where you have to buy a whole new deck every year to play in the "official' tournaments.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Hotrod wrote:Yes! Yes! It's not my fault! It's those incompetent hacks in the Bizantium Scouting Corps!

Hey your still under contract with them young noble :wink: . Besdies you shouldn't trust a map you find in the cabin of a legless captain.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

You DARE lecture me, insolent peasant? I, who braved the Sea of Despair (and spelled it correctly!), I who valiantly overcame the Sea Ghoul, saving the ship, I, who alone volunteered to row to the rescue of the ruined ship in Ghastly Bay? I, who bravely did whatever else the group did after my player bailed and drove home to his pregnant wife and children, getting up the next morning at 7AM to do some volunteer gardening with his church?

For shame! Any lawyer worth his sea salt would easily convince the most hostile of courts that my efforts to chart the Land of the Damned have more than fulfilled the terms of my contract. In fact, I believe the Bizantium Scouting Corps owes me considerable back pay, to say nothing of what the crown owes my house for their unwarranted siezure of our two finest merchant ships, or what the treasury owes us for propping up its financial profligacy.

What shall it be, knave? Will you apologize for your shameless slander, or shall first blood satisfy honor, or shall Seida the Wise see you in court?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Hotrod wrote:What shall it be, knave? Will you apologize for your shameless slander, or shall first blood satisfy honor, or shall Seida the Wise see you in court?

Avast! Even this pirate would not recommend tangling with Seida the Wise, in court. Do not challenge the tricksey elf, Scourge of the Seven Courts, in verbal challenges. This is KNOWN. :bandit:
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I have corrected the Bizantium map. Kiridin is now in a more appropriate set of dimensions. It wasn't an exact fit, but given how incompatible the previous two canon maps from Hinterlands were, I allowed myself a fudge factor. I also fixed a spelling mistake that's been bugging me ever since Glen pointed it out at Open House.

Here's the revised version. Enjoy!
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Re: Did I Mess This Up? What Should I Do? (edit: fixed, sort

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

The map looks amazing Hotrod!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Hotrod wrote:I have corrected the Bizantium map. Kiridin is now in a more appropriate set of dimensions. It wasn't an exact fit, but given how incompatible the previous two canon maps from Hinterlands were, I allowed myself a fudge factor. I also fixed a spelling mistake that's been bugging me ever since Glen pointed it out at Open House.

Here's the revised version. Enjoy!

I cannot tell you how pleased I was to receive the revised map- you are the coolest!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Thanks, zyanitevp!

By the way, high-quality prints of this map are available upon request for this year's Christmas Surprise Packages.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright

Hotrod wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:Also, I hate to say it and I wouldn't have brought it up if you weren't already talking about amending this map, but I think that Glen may have made a mistake when placing the Me'zfii Onh colony.

Soldier of Od, thank you so much for your thoughts on my maps. You make some excellent points about Mez'fii Onh's placement. I had several conversations on the subject of the placement of tiny colonies with Glen Evans and Wayne. I placed Mez'fii Onh (and all the tiny colony placements), according to specific guidance I got from Palladium. I'm not certain as to why they wanted it there, but they're the guys publishing the map, so I followed their guidance.

It's entirely possible that they (and I, by extension) placed Mez'fii Onh inconsistently with previous canon. There were several complicating factors involved. First, as you mention, Kiridin was written up by Bill Coffin for Northern Hinterlands, while Wolfen Empire's material on Mez'fii Onh was written by Thom Bartold and Kevin Siembieda. Second, both manuscripts were written and edited years apart. Third, Mez'fii Onh's location is vague.

Mez'fii Onh was not marked in Wolfen Empre or either of its first-edition counterparts, and thirteen days' foot travel isn't much to go on; that could be 200-300 miles. Even the location of Jason's cave isn't particularly precise: somewhere around the tip of the first toe of Dragon's Claw. How precise is "somewhere around", and which claw is the first? The other piece of information is that it lies where the tide rises and falls by the greatest margin; I don't know tide cycles enough to tell you where the biggest rise and fall in tides would be in Dragon's Claw. If the location of Jason's cave is somewhere on the western banks of Dragon's Claw, then an over-land journey from the currently-marked location seems reasonable. If it's down at the south end, or on the eastern banks (which was also my initial interpretation), then you're right.

Reading the description of Mez'fii Onh and the Oak People, it seems consistent that the Oak People would be on the western banks of Dragon's Claw, as the local tribes outnumber the Oak People. As for the Ursa Rex, their territory is defined as their capital and northward; there is no western limit that I saw. The territorial concerns of the Wolfen tribes don't seem to be so sharply defined as, say, the Western Empire.

Even a smaller Kiridin is still a large area, and the local barbarian nations might be willing to tolerate/ignore a tiny outpost like Mez'fii Onh, which has a population of "less than three hundred" according to Wolfen Empire p102. Certainly, the Kiridin lands overlap with many of the described territories of the Wolfen tribes in general, and the Oak People in particular. This likely comes down to issues of claimed territories vs actual controlled territories. It's a big world.

On the subject of claimed vs controlled territory, the "border" of Mez'fii Onh as I put it in the Bizantium map is a bit ambitious and large for such a small outpost(also true for the Shadow Colonies in general). It's probably more accurate to say that the true border is where the treeline starts, but colonies historically are chartered according to their intended growth area, not the limits of their control.

Eventually, Mez'fii Onh could be a flashpoint for a war involving Bizantium, Kiridin nations, and Wolfen tribes, but I don't see such a tiny settlement as significant enough to matter very much to any of them. Wolfen Empire mentions that its 2-story stone keep has withstood a few sieges.

I suspect you may be right, but since I got clear guidance from Palladium on this, I won't re-locate this colony unless they ask me to. I'll bring it up with them if I get a chance.

No I have the colony in its acurate spot originally then in the editing phase it got moved. I think Hot Rod new maps have it
back where it suppost to be. Even in Adventures in Northern Wilderness they did a poor job explaining where this place was.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Hotrod wrote:Thanks, zyanitevp!

By the way, high-quality prints of this map are available upon request for this year's Christmas Surprise Packages.

Really? You should tell people that in the All Things Forum under Surprise Packages!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

zyanitevp wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Thanks, zyanitevp!

Really? You should tell people that in the All Things Forum under Surprise Packages!!

You mean somewhere besides here?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Glorath
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Map of Bizantium and its Colonies: Errors, Errata and Up

Unread post by Glorath »

History teacher weighing in:
One of the fantastic things about maps of older times and elder places is the tendency of inaccuracies to creep into the presentation of the work. This creates all sorts of situations that are problematic for real world explorers, but become a gold mine for role playing and story plot purposes. The map could actually be used quite nicely as a plot idea itself. Consider: "the noble wants the most accurate map available, and has heard rumors that a precise map of the hinterlands can be obtained in a forgotten shrine somewhere in the northern wilds."
Hey! I may have to work that into my campaign...
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”