Rifter #66

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Rifter #66

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Wow what an awesome cover! Amy did an amazing job. I'm curious to know the story behind
these guys. Is that suppose to be Kevin wearing the bear hat? And a short story, Palladium
material in literature form, always a good thing. Can't wait.
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Re: Rifter #66

Unread post by Blastaar »

I met her at dragoncon and looked through some of the other things she has done ..
Very amazing artist..
Kudos to her and for bringing in some amazing imagery
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I like to know the H.U,s Bad guys in it.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

The Snake Men, a band of villains with serpent like powers and abilities. May sound similar to a band of villains from Marvel Comics, but these gouts are very different.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great.
Reagren Wright

You also can make player characters who are apart of a private military company and security consulting firm
(mercenaries) called Eagle Knight Security. Hopefully one day you'll learn more about EKS if a certain HU manuscript
ever sees the light of day :wink: .
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Blastaar wrote:I met her at dragoncon and looked through some of the other things she has done ..
Very amazing artist..
Kudos to her and for bringing in some amazing imagery

I would really like to see what she could do with the Splugorth and their minions. That naturally dark side of her art would very much compliment them.
ALAshbaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: COWER, BRIEF MORTALS!!!

Unread post by ALAshbaugh »

Wow, thanks guys!
I didn't want to do the traditional spandex-clad superhero types, and I wanted to do something humorous because that's not a thing that pops up on covers very often, and the Rifter was the perfect place to do that.
So my thinking for this hero team I've depicted is that they are a capable group, but most certainly not the first ones anybody would call in an emergency. The inspiration for that being that's kind of how my friends and I game; things get batsh*t crazy ridiculous very quickly. I wanted to see just how wacky I could get with some of the character types (very general) in the HU core book, so as I was sketching each character out, I tried to think of a one-line story for them to help me work out the details. I came up with:

a psychic - a woman whose yoga practice has brought her enlightenment, inner peace, and immense psychic power
a weapons master - a guy who excels at swordplay, but has a very outdated sense of what constitutes appropriate adventuring attire nowadays
a magic user - he thinks he's Harry Potter. With a genki hat for extra nerd
a mutant dog - a mutant, but tells everyone she's an alien, because due to her small stature and general adorable-ness, no one takes her seriously knowing she's really a dog
a mutant gorilla - mechanic/technician/handyman/large-blunt object-wielder extraordinaire

I had some friends who were nice enough to model for me despite the fact I wanted them to look silly in front of a camera. But the people I've illustrated aren't meant to represent anyone specific.
I am glad you enjoy my work :)
"You can make believe that what you say is what I want to hear."
-The Birthday Massacre

http://www.alashbaugh.com
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Did this issue ship to subscribers yet?
Reagren Wright

ALAshbaugh wrote:Wow, thanks guys!
I didn't want to do the traditional spandex-clad superhero types, and I wanted to do something humorous because that's not a thing that pops up on covers very often, and the Rifter was the perfect place to do that.
So my thinking for this hero team I've depicted is that they are a capable group, but most certainly not the first ones anybody would call in an emergency. The inspiration for that being that's kind of how my friends and I game; things get batsh*t crazy ridiculous very quickly. I wanted to see just how wacky I could get with some of the character types (very general) in the HU core book, so as I was sketching each character out, I tried to think of a one-line story for them to help me work out the details. I came up with:

a psychic - a woman whose yoga practice has brought her enlightenment, inner peace, and immense psychic power
a weapons master - a guy who excels at swordplay, but has a very outdated sense of what constitutes appropriate adventuring attire nowadays
a magic user - he thinks he's Harry Potter. With a genki hat for extra nerd
a mutant dog - a mutant, but tells everyone she's an alien, because due to her small stature and general adorable-ness, no one takes her seriously knowing she's really a dog
a mutant gorilla - mechanic/technician/handyman/large-blunt object-wielder extraordinaire

I had some friends who were nice enough to model for me despite the fact I wanted them to look silly in front of a camera. But the people I've illustrated aren't meant to represent anyone specific.
I am glad you enjoy my work :)

Very cool to know Amy. Like I said really dig the cover :ok: .
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Any ideas on what is in the TG pirates section? Is this just an extract of Braden's manuscript? Or is this basically the full manuscript edited up and maybe slightly shortened? IIRC he was originally looking at something like a 96 page book or so before it got backburnered and he left for greener pastures.
Reagren Wright

The Rifter® #66 is already almost sold out! It’s funny how some issues sell better than others. We printed the same amount as the last couple issues, but we are already down to the last couple hundred copies

Wow! Just out of curisoity I'm wondering what the fans are so excited about in this Rifter. I'm
guessing it has to be the Splicer stuff, Chuck's artwork was pretty awesome. Branden's Space
Pirates were pretty cool too. The other material always a great read as well. Glad to see that
Rifter's are still a big hit out there. Some people seem to have a poor opinion of them unless
theirs "offical material" in them. But looks like the masses have spoken. Thanks again
everyone :ok: .
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

The Black Market bit is nice. The creatures are nice. My favorite, the Phase World stuff. CJ did a nice job creating and/or "starting" the TG/PW stuff back in the day, but Carl and Braden are by far my favorite PW writers.

Its a nice addition to PW, but I of course wish it was longer. I am curious if that was most of the extent of the manuscript or if Braden is going to at some point finish it up and submit the whole kit and kabbodle.
rottencrab
D-Bee

Unread post by rottencrab »

I'm interested to know if anyone enjoyed the short story in this issue. Is more Rifts short fiction something you'd like to see more of?

Brett
Rifter 64 - Rifts: A Cold Night, Dead Past
Rifter 66 - Rifts: Skipping Stones
Rifter 71/72 - Rifts: Semjaw, Canada
Rifts Chaos Earth: Resurrection - Editor

--
Twitter: @brettcaron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rottencrab

"Why would you walk the road to self-destruction when the subway gets you there in half the time?"

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”