Dragon Bone Wands

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dragon Bone Wands

Unread post by 13eowulf »

In Dragons & Gods, under the Dragon Bone Weapons section, it says that "Many (70%) magic wands are also made from dragon bone."

Firstly: Does this mean that 70% of Dragon Bone Weapons are wands, or that 70% of all wands are Dragon Bone?

Secondly: Where does one find information on Wands other than Millennium Tree entries or the Rifter article?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Dragon Bone Wands

Unread post by The Beast »

13eowulf wrote:In Dragons & Gods, under the Dragon Bone Weapons section, it says that "Many (70%) magic wands are also made from dragon bone."

Firstly: Does this mean that 70% of Dragon Bone Weapons are wands, or that 70% of all wands are Dragon Bone?

Secondly: Where does one find information on Wands other than Millennium Tree entries or the Rifter article?

1 = 70% of wands are from dragon bone.

2 = If there's not anything in PFRPG, then there is a Rifter article. Not sure which one.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Wands in palladium? What book i'd like to check it out
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) 70% of magic wands.
2) none that I know of.

The only place I know of that specifically deals with wands is in one of the rifters. The is the focus object in the rifter magical proficiencies but that is not one set thing.

There is also the Talisman spell which can make use of wands.

yes I know I'm grasping at straws....but that is all there is.

rods from IslandatEotW....*yawns...* going to bed now...
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Riftmaker wrote:Wands in palladium? What book i'd like to check it out

I included some rules on it in the MoM manuscript.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

13eowulf wrote:In Dragons & Gods, under the Dragon Bone Weapons section, it says that "Many (70%) magic wands are also made from dragon bone."

Welcome to the wonderful world of "lets toss something cool sounding out there with out bothering to fact check it"
On the interesting side, officially.....there are no wands. which means that 70% of 0...is no wands use dragon bone.
(Which makes sense considering the statements about the violent reaction dragons have to the use of their bones to make things, the idea that 70% of an entire class of magic item uses it is.....far fetched at best)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
partingshot
D-Bee
Comment: Shadow King of Númenor
Half-Blood Time Lord of the Sith
Maquis Warboss of the Browncoats
Captain, SSV Foregone Conclusion

Unread post by partingshot »

eliakon wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of "lets toss something cool sounding out there with out bothering to fact check it"
On the interesting side, officially.....there are no wands. which means that 70% of 0...is no wands use dragon bone.
(Which makes sense considering the statements about the violent reaction dragons have to the use of their bones to make things, the idea that 70% of an entire class of magic item uses it is.....far fetched at best)

Far fetched... why do you say that? How does the idea of 100% of an entire class of Juicer continually using dragon blood sit with you? Still, if I were a dragon, I'd make as few mage friends as possible if that were the case.

As for canon, check out PFRPG Island at the Edge of the World (p.93-95) for Crystal Wands -- although you need psionics for that -- or PFRPG Eastern Territory (p.66-67) for Millennium Tree Wands.
Sometimes I just want to explode with sarcasm, fire my fingers in the air, and proceed to strangle every last person with my bare hands...
But since those around me have managed to stave off that very urge where I am concerned, I will abstain out of gratitude.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

partingshot wrote:
eliakon wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of "lets toss something cool sounding out there with out bothering to fact check it"

Far fetched... why do you say that? How does the idea of 100% of an entire class of Juicer continually using dragon blood sit with you? Still, if I were a dragon, I'd make as few mage friends as possible if that were the case.

As for canon, check out PFRPG Island at the Edge of the World (p.93-95) for Crystal Wands -- although you need psionics for that -- or PFRPG Eastern Territory (p.66-67) for Millennium Tree Wands.

There is a bit of difference between the Dragon Juicer in Rifts (which is, btw explicitly mentioned to be antagonistic to dragons and has issues with dragons killing them out of hand. Is also new, rare, limited to a few places that are already antagonistic to dragons ) and claiming that almost three quarters of an entire class of magic items, in a world that is FAR more afraid of dragons uses dragon parts. Right after making a note of just how violently opposed to that dragons are in that game....
How (and WHY?) are 70% of these wands made with dragon bone, when in the PF world there are dragons who track down and kill the makers and sellers of such items, when most dragons object violently enough to seize and destroy them?
It defies all logic.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
partingshot
D-Bee
Comment: Shadow King of Númenor
Half-Blood Time Lord of the Sith
Maquis Warboss of the Browncoats
Captain, SSV Foregone Conclusion

Unread post by partingshot »

eliakon wrote:There is a bit of difference between the Dragon Juicer in Rifts (which is, btw explicitly mentioned to be antagonistic to dragons and has issues with dragons killing them out of hand. Is also new, rare, limited to a few places that are already antagonistic to dragons ) and claiming that almost three quarters of an entire class of magic items, in a world that is FAR more afraid of dragons uses dragon parts. Right after making a note of just how violently opposed to that dragons are in that game....
How (and WHY?) are 70% of these wands made with dragon bone, when in the PF world there are dragons who track down and kill the makers and sellers of such items, when most dragons object violently enough to seize and destroy them?
It defies all logic.

I do understand your point, but logic is a beggar in the kingdom of magic. Have you ever wondered why some of the better mages are a bit mad?
A sound mind is not the greatest prize of an arcane practitioner. You have to be loony to twist the laws of physics.
Sometimes I just want to explode with sarcasm, fire my fingers in the air, and proceed to strangle every last person with my bare hands...
But since those around me have managed to stave off that very urge where I am concerned, I will abstain out of gratitude.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Play nice people.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The article from Rifter #19 states that wood is the only material that can be made into a magic wand, so the note about dragon bones is absolutely not compatible with that article. Unless there's another article that people are referring to?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:The article from Rifter #19 states that wood is the only material that can be made into a magic wand, so the note about dragon bones is absolutely not compatible with that article. Unless there's another article that people are referring to?

The problem is that the R#19 article is just an unofficial rifter....and D&G is an official canon publication.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

eliakon wrote:
Glistam wrote:The article from Rifter #19 states that wood is the only material that can be made into a magic wand, so the note about dragon bones is absolutely not compatible with that article. Unless there's another article that people are referring to?

The problem is that the R#19 article is just an unofficial rifter....and D&G is an official canon publication.

Exactly. Which is why it needs to stop being brought up as an "answer" to this question.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

In the absence of any other canon source I would just consider Wands to be in the same category of item as "Magic Rings, Bracelets, Charms, & Medallions" from page 253 of Palladium Fantasy - though I'd also allow some of the more offensive abilities from the "Magic Weapons" section on pages 249-250 to also be used (specifically Spits Fire and Spits Lightning).

Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Wouldn't Necromancers be able to create dragon-bone wands
The Dragon Has Spoken
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Snake Eyes wrote:Wouldn't Necromancers be able to create dragon-bone wands

IMO, yes.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

What would the purpose of that be? Mystic Russia adds necro spells to create a bone scepter or bone staff but those can be done with pretty much anything, and shaping dragon bone into a wand would be a step away from attaching natural parts like horns/claws/wings to merge with.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”