So sad...

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Echo5Hotel
D-Bee

So sad...

Unread post by Echo5Hotel »

I hate the fact that there is so little activity in this section of the forums. I love the game Recon, always have since I first played it on the late 80s. Why is there so little, practically nonexistent online resources that so many other games enjoy? Other games that in my opinion are simply not as good.

I am intending on creating a portion of my web site dedicated to Recon resources. Things such as house rules, scenarios, campaigns and such. If anyone is interested in perhaps having their Recon material published on the page please let me know and I will be happy to host it.
Echo5Hotel
Jim Hunsinger RT (R) (ARRT)
Currently seeking a third world country to rule with an iron fist that would make Genghis Khan look like a simpering panty waist.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: So sad...

Unread post by Jefffar »

Recon does need a greater board pressence, but with a lack of product in the line, an alternate mechanic, and small player base, its hard to generate volume down here.

That said, a website is a place to start, a way to remind folks that Recon is out there and fun. It really can fit modern combat with very little modification too. Just add body armour and more advanced electronics. Most of the weapons used today are essentially equivalent to one or more weapons in the book already.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I agree with what you said, but I think that the alternate mechanic is really what keeps the game from being more popular...and the fact that it gets zero support. It is fantastic as a fast and realistic combat system, but it may not be what people want when they role play...not much room for cinematic heroism and uber-characters that seem to be far too common in most games. That being said, I wish you the best and if there are particular things that you are looking for on your website, I would be more than happy to assist in crowd-sourcing them.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

I first encountered Recon at my local comic book store in '91; I noticed it was palladium since we were playing Robotech; I never got it until recently.

It is a good modern / 20th century wargame; for a pre-20th century, wargame, I would use WoD or for a future war, CP:2020.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

What I like most about Recon, besides the easy mass-combat system, is it is an excuse to create a fictional nation.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Back in 91 at the height of the ADnD days we played a few games of recon. And git promptly owned and dead. No heal potions lol.
Echo5Hotel
D-Bee

I first played Recon in 1989 when I was in the Army. We used to play it during our deployments during our down time. I hate that Palladium isn't planning on supporting the title any longer. I just inquired as to if they would be willing to sell the rights to Recon to me. If I can get it I am going to be looking into publishing supplements to bring it into the contemporary world.
Echo5Hotel
Currently seeking a third world country to rule with an iron fist that would make Genghis Khan look like a simpering panty waist.
slade the sniper
Hero

Hey, if you get it the rights, that would be very nice to see the system live again...

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Echo5Hotel
D-Bee

That's what I would have liked to have done but still no answer to my inquiry. <8^(

I am still going to be working on some house rules that might help to bring Recon into the modern world. It seems an awful shame to me to no longer support Recon. There is so much that could be done with this line. Periodic releases of support books giving status of hot spots all over the world that could have PMC or Spec Ops missions going on.
Echo5Hotel
Echo5Hotel
D-Bee

So does anyone have any house rules they would like to share and have posted on my webpage?
Echo5Hotel
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

You are welcome to link to my wiki if you want but I do not use the Recon rules.....I do have modern vehicles and such done though.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
slade the sniper
Hero

I've posted quite a few house rules on this site. Feel free to use any you find from me. My main focus has been to make Recon fit seamlessly into the normal PB rules, simply because I don't want to have yet another system to game with, but I have been pretty successful at making a BRP/Recon hybrid.

-STS
Giomancer
D-Bee

Unread post by Giomancer »

slade the sniper wrote:...but I think that the alternate mechanic is really what keeps the game from being more popular...and the fact that it gets zero support. It is fantastic as a fast and realistic combat system, but it may not be what people want when they role play...not much room for cinematic heroism and uber-characters that seem to be far too common in most games.

-STS

The only reason I've never bought RECON is that is wasn't part of the standard Palladium SDC system. Since I've never read it, I can't speak to the combat system, but cinematic heroism is always nice when it comes to roleplaying (at least for me).. I can pass (easily) on uber-characters, though.

What I'd like to do (in the 'wishful fantasy' sense) is publish a Megaversal-compatible "Modern Recon Revised" that covers groundpounders (and the tools of their trade) from Normandy to Fallujah.

- Gio

To the everlasting glory of the Infantry
Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young
- from The Ballad of Rodger Young
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Giomancer wrote:What I'd like to do (in the 'wishful fantasy' sense) is publish a Megaversal-compatible "Modern Recon Revised" that covers groundpounders (and the tools of their trade) from Normandy to Fallujah.

Long ago, there was talk of a new Recon: Modern Combat game that would be just what you describe, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a decade. The title lives on only in the name of this forum.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

It's not recon but it's palladium....

http://worldofjaymz.wikia.com/wiki/Cate ... lladium%29
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Giomancer
D-Bee

Unread post by Giomancer »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Long ago, there was talk of a new Recon: Modern Combat game that would be just what you describe, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a decade. The title lives on only in the name of this forum.

I recall that as well. It was pre-Crisis of Treachery, though, so throw that in with Palladium Standard Time.. *grin*

Still, unless I'm terribly wrong (highly likely), wasn't Nightbane basically reinvigorated by freelancer/fan work? There was somebody doing a very careful conversion process that I don't believe was finished; perhaps a completed work would make things easier?

- Gio

EDIT: That was also prior to the passing of Erick Wujcik, which I just found out about. =(
Last edited by Giomancer on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well the planned author for Recon Modern Combat was Maryann Siembedia IIRC. A new author will have to submit something that Kevin will be cool with.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Adventus
Wanderer

Unread post by Adventus »

I would like to see it come into compliance with Ninjas and Superspies. It would make a great companion book, greatly improving the military side of the game.
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

Echo5Hotel wrote:I first played Recon in 1989 when I was in the Army. We used to play it during our deployments during our down time. I hate that Palladium isn't planning on supporting the title any longer. I just inquired as to if they would be willing to sell the rights to Recon to me. If I can get it I am going to be looking into publishing supplements to bring it into the contemporary world.

That would be awesome. Would especially love to see some scenarios for various locales: Middle East, Central America, Colombia, North Africa, Ukraine, etc.

Recon goes great when reading Vietnam memoirs: right now I'm reading some books by Gary Linderer about his time as am LRP.
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

Echo5Hotel wrote: Periodic releases of support books giving status of hot spots all over the world that could have PMC or Spec Ops missions going on.

This would be fantastic.
slade the sniper
Hero

Well...what would be needed...

updating N&SS (perhaps with the MOS system in the new ROBOTECH books) or updating Recon, with a few more skill options?

If anyone knows how to make a poll, they could ask: "To update Recon, and provide options for modern and historical military themed gaming, would it be better to:"
Option 1: Maintain the legacy and lethality of modern combat and stick with Recon
Option 2: Update the classic Recon and bring it into the fold by making it compatible with the rest of the Megaverse (although with some modifications to better showcase the lethality of modern warfare)

Once that decision is made, all that is needed is a standard format for posting new organizations, locations and missions.

My recommendation is :
For organizations to just use the standard format already used in Palladium books for military/intel organizations, which is the one that is in either Rifts Mercenaries or N&SS.

For locations...um, find a standard travel guide we like and basically fill in the blanks.

For new missions, I would recommend the standard five paragraph OPORDER...kinda military and self explanatory. A paragraph each covering: Situation (could be expanded to 3, one for geography, friendly forces and enemy forces), Mission (a single sentence stating who, what, when, where, why), Execution (a paragraph explaining how), Service Support (a paragraph explaining what support you will have), and Command and Signal (a paragraph explaining chain of command and what signals mean to who).

Just an opinion.

-STS
djlittle1960
D-Bee

Unread post by djlittle1960 »

Echo5Hotel wrote:I hate the fact that there is so little activity in this section of the forums. I love the game Recon, always have since I first played it on the late 80s. Why is there so little, practically nonexistent online resources that so many other games enjoy? Other games that in my opinion are simply not as good.

I am intending on creating a portion of my web site dedicated to Recon resources. Things such as house rules, scenarios, campaigns and such. If anyone is interested in perhaps having their Recon material published on the page please let me know and I will be happy to host it.

I went to your site and noticed you have played MANY of the same games that I have. However, there is no 'content' or resources for any of them, just links to the publisher. I like to use the "NPC Fast Kill" from the Morrow Project for RECON. It gives the players a better chance of survival. BTW-We live 3 hours away from each other! :mrgreen:
turko
D-Bee

Unread post by turko »

djlittle1960 wrote:
Echo5Hotel wrote: I like to use the "NPC Fast Kill" from the Morrow Project for RECON. It gives the players a better chance of survival.

I've been making enemies "easier" to kill in my game, too. I prefer giving the players a bigger edge than is present in the rules as written, because it allows for an extended campaign to be played with the same characters.
slade the sniper
Hero

Giomancer wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:...but I think that the alternate mechanic is really what keeps the game from being more popular...and the fact that it gets zero support. It is fantastic as a fast and realistic combat system, but it may not be what people want when they role play...not much room for cinematic heroism and uber-characters that seem to be far too common in most games.

-STS

The only reason I've never bought RECON is that is wasn't part of the standard Palladium SDC system. Since I've never read it, I can't speak to the combat system, but cinematic heroism is always nice when it comes to roleplaying (at least for me).. I can pass (easily) on uber-characters, though.

What I'd like to do (in the 'wishful fantasy' sense) is publish a Megaversal-compatible "Modern Recon Revised" that covers groundpounders (and the tools of their trade) from Normandy to Fallujah.

- Gio

Gio,

That was kind of my intent when I made my thread below, though apparently it was less than useful...

-STS

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”