Using wire as a flight stand

Use this area to ask questions and provide tips for assembling Robotech RPG Tactics™ mini's as well terrain sculpting.

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Using wire as a flight stand

Unread post by Axoid »

Since we can't imbed pictures here, and I don't have a Flicker account, here's a link to a Google+ post I made on this topic. I'll copy the text here, but to see the pics you'll need to follow the link.

https://plus.google.com/109207726702680 ... kyeqoFxTii

The one thing I really dislike about the minis is the big, bulky, ugly, plastic flight stand included on the sprues. The minis are so nice, this hunk of plastic really detracts from them in my opinion.

What I decided to use instead is some bent wire for those minis I want to represent as flying or leaping.

Let's start with a Veritech in Guardian more. The same approach can be used for any other mini, the main difference is change-up the length of your wire and find a larger radius object to bend it around (these go hand in hand).

Step 1: Find appropriate diameter wire. Basically you are looking for wire that isn't too thick to detract from the model itself, while still supporting the model in flight. I have a bunch of wire I use for pinning models, and it will work great. It's about 0.88mm/0.034" in diameter, that's about 19 gauge. 18 or 20 gauge will work as well, as the minis aren't that heavy and shouldn't be subjected to much abuse. You can use thicker (i.e. lower number) gauge wire for the Zentraedi pods if you wish. You can get the wire from any craft store, like Michaels. It's usually found in the fake plant section, as florists use it for make flower arrangements.

Step 2: Cut the wire to length. For this Veritech, I picked 2". That keeps it slightly elevated off the stand, without being too high. The shorter you keep it, the less flexible it will be as well. The length will change depending on the model you are posing.

Step 3: Find an object to bend the wire around. This step is really tied with Step #2, as the length of wire should also match the curvature of the object you bend it around. I used my airbrush cup for this.

Step 3: Bend the wire. It's best if you can secure one end of the wire, then slowly starting bending it as you move around the object. This will give you a nice, even arc.

Step 4: Bend the ends of the wire to be inserted into the model and the base. Again, the length of this bend will vary, but for me I used the thickness of my hobby pliers. This will give enough bite into both the model and the base.

Step 5: Drill a hole in both the bottom of the model and the base, for the wire to be glued into. You'll need a pin vise for this, as well as a drill bit that matches the gauge of your wire. For those that don't know, a pin vise is a small, hand-held hobby drill. You can get one from any local hobby store or online. They are usually about $10, and every hobbyist should have one IMHO.

Step 6: Insert and glue the wire into the model/base. What's nice about wire is you can twist it a bit to add more dynamic poses.

Step 7: Sit back and enjoy your work!

Check out the pictures, and I hope you find this useful.

Thanks,
Don
Last edited by Axoid on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Using wire as a flight stand

Unread post by Axoid »

Just a question, does the link to Google+ work, and allow you to see what I posted? it probably works if you have a Google+ account, so if something without and account can also check that would be great.

If the content isn't viewable, I won't continue to post via this method and will look at alternatives for my online pictures like this.

Thanks,
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Re: Using wire as a flight stand

Unread post by Phaze »

Man, do I like this idea. I wonder how hard it would be to take mine apart now...I only have one squad assembled. This is one I will probably end up using.

Thanks!
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Modelling & Terrain”