Deciding what options to build

Use this area to ask questions and provide tips for assembling Robotech RPG Tactics™ mini's as well terrain sculpting.

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Deciding what options to build

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

This is totally personal preference. I am i the same boat. I cannot decide as I do not know what options are available to me as we didn't get all the cards in the box.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I modified the pledge manager someone made to tell me how many of what units I would have. I assumed that the GenCon Exclusives would be used and as any mini such as Rick or Roy being capable of being just another Veritech. Then I also assumed the Arty Pods top mounts were compatible so that if I had an extra could Pods I could make more Arty Pods.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0VSNz ... sp=sharing
Very Fun One Jr
D-Bee

Unread post by Very Fun One Jr »

Good news on that front, all of the units for the UEDF and Zentraedi are available to view on the kickstarter page. Look for the banners that read 'UEDF Organization" and 'Zentraedi Organization' or something like that. They appear at the top of each factions section of the main page. These will give you the points value for all Core, Support, and Special cards, including those that haven't shipped, but not options or any units for the Malcontents. For available options you'll have extrapolate costs from cards you already have. For instance all of the Spartan options are the same no matter the card it appears on, only the cost varies. Full price for a squadron of four or half price for two in a mixed squadron or a squad. The same is true for Regults, Phalanxes, Defenders, etc.
As for what to bring I am in the same boat so I haven't attached any weapons and I'll pay a few games with different choices. For the VFs it seems (and I'm going from memory, here) the MLOPs would do better for missile intercept and undodge-able volleys (good against Zentraedi elites and gnerls), while the bombs make devastating Blast attacks which are useful against enemy mecha in close formation (like Regults) with the cost of limited use and range. the nig mssiles are the same but with range so they csost more. The -1R upgrade also is a defensive upgrade with a lot of anti-missile weapons so you can focus your standard missiles for offense. The options you choose should depend a lot on what you expect to face.
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Not entirely true, there are upgrades that are not listed there. Additionally some of the point values have changed.
Very Fun One Jr
D-Bee

Unread post by Very Fun One Jr »

Maximilian Jenius wrote:Not entirely true, there are upgrades that are not listed there. Additionally some of the point values have changed.

I definitely mentioned that the upgrades are not there in my post, I guess I called the options or something and it must have thrown you off. The point values are accurate according to the cards I have, and I am only missing the Brawler Destroid cadre from the UEDF and the cards for the units that haven't shipped yet. Though, of course I've been wrong before. Regardless, you can deduce the upgrades from the cards you do have, they don't change form card to card, just mecha to mecha, which I also explained in my post. I assume if you got the basic set you have at least one copy of all the basic mecha on some card or other, yes? Anyway, whether it's off by 10 points or twenty it doesn't really matter for now as corrections and cards are on the way. Play and have fun first, worry about the details after it's available at retail stores.
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

But they do change. There are malcontent cards that do not have access to said upgrades and have entirely different options.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

I just went ahead and magnetized the majority of the models, to allow for changing configurations. For the veritechs, the majority of your models will be VF-1As, so it's probably good to just glue those heads on every 2 out of 4 models. The other 2 I would use small magnets in the body and a thin wire super-glued into the neck to allow swapping of heads. You really only need to to this on the battloid modes I feel, no one is going to be looking under the guardians and fighters for the correct heads. But if you want, it'd not hard to magnetize those as well.

I made a post on Google+ that has pictures of how I did mine (hopefully the link works).

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 5226690431

For the Defenders and Tomahawks, no real options on the sprues, so I just glued the weapons in-place. For the Phalanx and Spartans, I used magnets for the arms/weapon pods so I could switch out configurations depending on what I build my force to.

It just takes a little pre-planning to lay-out what you need.

Hope that helps a bit
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I'm not going to bother modelling based on builds. Probably magnetize some Support Pods and Phalanxes, but VT heads? Those tiny fragile things on all 3 modes? Nah, won't bother. I mean, kudos to those that do, but it's just not that important to me personally.

I've heard of some people magnetizing the missile load outs for VTs as well, also not my bag. Cool to hear people are doing it though.

Of the currently 15 VT's I intend to keep, I'm leaning towards 10 A's, 3 J's, and 2 S's, for up to 3 VT core squads, or 2 core squads with support cards added (before a pile of wave two stuff comes in and I can augment those numbers with Super VT's, Armored VT's, a Rick, a Roy, etc).

If doing spartan weapons isn't horrifically obnoxious I could see maybe doing those, but I'm doubting it. Have to wait and see when I'm faced with the actual models.
Veritas
D-Bee

Unread post by Veritas »

Battlecry gives you 9 Valkyries in fighter and guardian modes, and 10 battloids. Additionally, 1 VF-1J for Rick and 1 VF-1S for Roy.

I plan on having one squadron be standard with all the characters (VF-1J Rick, two VF-1A Max and Ben, one stock VF-1A, one VF-1S Roy), and the other be all VF-1R's. I think I'll give super squadron long range missiles to stand off, and the refurbs squadron will get gravity bombs and nose lasers as a close in unit.

If I want any more Valkyries (I'm already looking at 350 pts of them!) for more options I'll just buy them.

To that end, I've been trying to figure out a modeling conundrum: which is which? The MLOP is obvious, but the others? Is the big one the bomb, and the tubes are both medium and long range missiles?
Watch out fer dem pancakes.
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

I have pretty much decided to do 3 VF-1J's for my PCs, 1 VF-1S, and just make all of the rest VF-1R. As far as the underwing hardpoints go, I was just going to use missiles and MLOPs. I don't think anyone I would game with will care if the models are weapons accurate.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Modelling & Terrain”