Rules question: prevent theft of activation

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rules question: prevent theft of activation

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

Greetings!

Under stealing the activation on page 14 of the rulebook it discusses spending a command point to roll a d6 (or 3d6) to prevent the theft of an activation. However it does not state when you need to spend the command point or make the roll to do so.

Do you have to spend the point when your opponent declares they are spending one to attempt to steal the activation, or can you wait until after they have declared, rolled, and succeeded at their attempt to declare you would like to prevent it?
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Re: Rules question: prevent theft of activation

Unread post by Phaze »

This is from experience and the Demos at the booth at Gencon run by Carmen and Jeff of Palladium...

Initiative is determined, Player A winning the initiative. Player B (before Player A declares the unit he would activate) declares his attempt to steal the initiative. Player B spends his command point and rolls getting a 6. At this time Player A (Before Player B declares his unit to activate) declares his attempt to steal, spends his command point, and rolls a D6.

There would be no reason for Player A to declare a steal attempt unless Player B has successfully stole the initiative.

The way the text reads in the book, it is a concurrent step rather than a parallel step, indicating that the steps follow one another and not all declared at the same time. It would have mentioned in the first paragraph second column if Player A had to declare at the same time as Player B.

Curious...why did you say 3D6 as an option?
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

Because it states if you have a mecha with leadership on the board you roll 3d6 instead of 1d6.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Maximilian Jenius wrote:Because it states if you have a mecha with leadership on the board you roll 3d6 instead of 1d6.

Yup...ok. I just wanted it to be clear that was the case, and not that you rolled all of the initiative or theft attempts at the same time.

Carry on.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

I believe how it works is your opponent tries to steal the activation, and rolls for it. With Leadership he rolls 3 dice as you mentioned, but regardless of how many dice, he needs at least one of them to be a '6'. More than one '6' doesn't matter.

Now that he's stolen it, you have a chance to cancel the steal. You roll for it, and again roll 3 dice because of leadership. As long as one of them come up a '6', you prevent the theft. More than one '6' doesn't matter.

I interpreted the rule (after many reads) to be sequential, not simultaneous, meaning the theft must be successful for you to even try to prevent it.

In your example, it doesn't matter if one person rolled more 6's than another. The steps are sequential and more than one '6' is ignored in each step.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Don
Last edited by Axoid on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

That is how I read it too.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”